cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MelGen
Level: Powered On

Can Flow be used to update a few specific columns in an Excel file that is stored in SharePoint?

I am new to flow and trying to figure it out.   I have 2 excel files stored in a SP library.  I want to grab rows from one file and update those that don't exist in the other file.   I did create named tables in each excel file but they are not SP lists.   Having a hard time with this... any help will be greatly appreciated.   

6 REPLIES 6
Gristy
Level 10

Re: Can Flow be used to update a few specific columns in an Excel file that is stored in SharePoint?

Hey

Have a look under the excel actions you should find what you need there.

You are going to have to get all rows from the first file and then check the second file and if it does not exist use the create row action

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Can Flow be used to update a few specific columns in an Excel file that is stored in SharePoint?

Hi @MelGen ,

You need to create a key column (not null and have a unique value) in the two Excel tables to correspond to the rows in the two tables, in order to update the table.

• Use Filter Query to filter out whether there are rows in the current File1 in File2, according to the ID field.
  • If the result of the length() function is 0, a new row is inserted in File2.

Expression reference:

length(body('List_rows_present_in_a_table_2')?['value'])

Image reference:

111.PNG112.PNG113.PNG

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MelGen

Hi, I got the flow to run successfully. However, I do not see the new rows in the table2 that I was trying to update.   Any ideas on how to I can determine where they went?  I tried to paste in the screen shot of the flow but its not letting me copy it in here.  

MelGen

There isn't an template flow for updating one excel file into another excel file in SharePoint that I can find. 

Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Please provide more details with screenshoot to describe your problem.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MelGen

I apologize for not responding. I was away and there wasn't any internet.   The following are the screen shots of the flow I built based on your suggestions.  As it indicates it was successfully but the excel file (file2) was not updated with the rows from file 1 that didn't exist in file 2.   I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.   Any help with be appreciated....

Flow1.pngFlow2.pngFlow3.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 138 members 5,404 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: