cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Can Flow create a second stage list and flow where some fields are mandatory?

I'm trying to work out the best way to do this.

I have a process where a user submits to a SharePoint Online list. When it's submitted a user reviews the list item then will submit it to be reviewed for approval. At this stage I need five fields to be mandatory.

I thought that what I'd need to do is to use a Flow to populate a second list - which would have the additional mandatory fields - with the items from the first. Is this the best approach and what are the best actions to use?

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @darrenfloyd666 

Did you resolved you issue? Do you need anymore help in this? If you have resolved your issue please mark it as solution accepted. This will help others in community when they looking for solutions.

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Power Automate Video Tutorials

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @darrenfloyd666 

If your five fields are entered manually before it sends the approval then you could keep the 5 fields in the same list. Then use When an item is selected trigger and add 5 field inputs as mandatory before it sends the approval.

image.png

Click the tree dots of each input field and set mandatory.

image.png

Once these inputs are entered then you can use Update item action to update the original list. Then send the approvals.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Highlighted

Thanks @abm that looks just the ticket. What exact action is the 'When an item is selected' action? I've looked through Flow on a number of different search terms and I can't find one that matches?

Highlighted

Hi @darrenfloyd666 

Thanks for your reply. What I meant from when an item is selected means For a selected item.

"For a selected item" is used for where users can run the flow by selecting a particular record. It's more like an on-demand workflow process.

image.png

To create this flow first logon to SharePoint and access your list. Click the Flow menu and create a flow.

image.png

What we are looking for is trigger For a selected item. It's not easy to find this from the template.  So I have found a workaround for this. Select any from the template. Once the flow template is loaded remove the trigger and add when an item is selected. Add rest of the logic which I mentioned in my earlier post. Save the flow.  Back to Sharepoint and refresh the list. Under the flow menu from the list you should be able to see the configured flow by selecting one of the list item.

If you need any help please let me know.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Highlighted

@abmRight! Thanks! I got to the same point around the time you did. It's another Flow. A few questions. I've created a separate 'For Selected' Flow. How is this triggered? Does it get fire after the first Flow has fired? 

In the first Flow I have Condition with an Update Item action. Will the Update Item in the 'For Selected' overwrite the fields from the first (there are a few drop down options).

Here's how I have the Update Item action set up. Thanks for all your help @abm 

FlowIdeasApp.png

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @darrenfloyd666 

There is no automated trigger for selected item. The name says it all. So select the list record from SharePoint, above the main menu (List) click flow you can see selected item flow you built. Run the flow. So selected item means user need to run it manually. At that point it will prompt for 5 inputs which are mandatory. Once the data is collected you can do an immediate update using the same flow. I am thinking as a second step from the same menu update item using the id from selected item (previous step action). Hope it make sense. 

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Highlighted

Thanks @abm I ran the Flow and as suggested and it ran but it didn't add the additional fields and I was able to run the Flow without adding anything in. I can't see additional fields in the Update item action and the Flow changed the Title to the next items Title? 

Highlighted

Hi @darrenfloyd666 

Generally if you use a manual trigger you should be able to use the input fields. I thought it should work for the same here. Let me try it and let you know. 

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Highlighted

Okay thanks

Highlighted

Hi @darrenfloyd666 

Yes it is possible.

image.png

Here is my flow config

image.png

See the test input field name where I can map as Dynamic content in rest of the below steps.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @darrenfloyd666 

Did you resolved you issue? Do you need anymore help in this? If you have resolved your issue please mark it as solution accepted. This will help others in community when they looking for solutions.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Users online (14,029)