cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Can I use Flow to make a list item Read Only after submission?

Yes, basically that. After submission to list item is there an action in Flow which would make a field Read Only?

11 REPLIES 11
Super User III
Super User III

Hi!

Did you play with Grant access to an item / Stop sharing an item, so hopefully you modify the access role of your target user?

Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Right, so I can make fields Read Only with Grant Access? Would I be able to lock down specific fields?

Ooops! I am afraid this is valid for the hole item only, not for specific fields.

As a workaround, you can implement the 'read only fields' as lookup from another sharepoint list where users have read-only access, but not sure this workaround matches your requirements.

Sorry for the misunderstanding 😞

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Thanks, no doesn't really solve the problem, but thanks for the reply. 

Super User
Super User

Hi @darrenfloyd666 

You have to break the inheritance i.e., the permission of the item and then to add the user to the item with read permission, this makes the user to read but cannot contribute. You cannot do this on a field level, better to use the item level permission. Better use the SharePoint REST API to do the above.

Hope it helps, please like it or mark it as a solution if it resolves ur clarification or issue
-Sudharsan K...

Hope it helps, please like it or mark it as a solution if it resolves your clarification or issue
-Sudharsan K...

Thanks for the reply @sudharsan1985 I don't think it'll help me though. I do need the fields to be read only after submission. 

Hi @darrenfloyd666 

Of course you have to use the flow to do the changes to the permission once the item is submitted.

Hope it helps, please like it or mark it as a solution if it resolves your clarification or issue
-Sudharsan K...

Thanks @sudharsan1985 

So if I understand I'd change the permissions with Flow then use a REST query to certain fields ReadOnly?

Hi @darrenfloyd666 

You misunderstood, certain fields cannot be made read-only in SharePoint, the entire item can be made read-only after the submission using the flow. You have to design a custom page to show the fields read-only and also the page for update to achieve your functionality.

-Sudharsan K...

Oh right, sorry yes I did misunderstand you. My next step is to create a Power Apps form so I'll see if there's a workaround in that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Power Platform: 2021 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April through September 2021.

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (99,164)