cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a guest user initiate a flow?

Hi Guys, 

Just started playing with Flow and excited by the potential :).One critical question I have, which will determine if the tech can be used in our organisation is.... Can a flow be initiated by a guest account?

Ie: If a guest user in our tenant completed a MS Form (front end) would the flow initiate?

Thanks

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you want other guest users to access/initiate a flow that you created within your Flow environment?

If you want other guest users who are out of your Organization to access the flow that you created, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

As a workaround, you could consider create Guest Account from your Organization for the external users, then share corresponding flow through Microsoft Flow to this Guest Account in your Organization. Then the external users could access your flow within your Flow Environment.

More details about creating a Guest Account from your Organization, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/add-guests

In addition, if you use the "When a new response is submitted" trigger as the trigger of your flow, I think the Guest user could initiate the flow that you created. Within your Microsoft Form, you could share a "Anyone with the link can respond" link with the Guest user as below:1.JPG

Then anyone fill the form with above shared link could initiate the flow (that you created) which is bounded to this form.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
vecerpa
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Anonymous,

In scenario you mentioned for Forms, there is no problem to start MS Flow when Form is submitted by user.

FormTrigger.png

There is trigger for Form. It is launched under user that created Form and Flow that is bounded to it.

But such guest user is not able to CREATE FORM and FLOW in your tenant.

P.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @vecerpa

Thanks for your response. My existing flow utilises the MS Form's action, alongside others including, SharePoint, Approval, Azure AD and Outlook actions and works all ok with directory users in our tenant. 

So my understanding is that the guest user WILL be able to fill in a form (if set for use outside my organisation) but the Flow bound to it WILL NOT start? does that sound correct to you?

If so do you know why guest users WOULD NOT be able to initiate a flow? My guess is that its something to do with licencing?

vecerpa
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi again, the Flow that connected to Form will trigger even the form is filled by someone outside your Office 365 environment.
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you want other guest users to access/initiate a flow that you created within your Flow environment?

If you want other guest users who are out of your Organization to access the flow that you created, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

As a workaround, you could consider create Guest Account from your Organization for the external users, then share corresponding flow through Microsoft Flow to this Guest Account in your Organization. Then the external users could access your flow within your Flow Environment.

More details about creating a Guest Account from your Organization, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/add-guests

In addition, if you use the "When a new response is submitted" trigger as the trigger of your flow, I think the Guest user could initiate the flow that you created. Within your Microsoft Form, you could share a "Anyone with the link can respond" link with the Guest user as below:1.JPG

Then anyone fill the form with above shared link could initiate the flow (that you created) which is bounded to this form.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

Thanks for the detailed response 🙂 

We only need guest user from within our Organisation to be able to initiate a flow , so going by your response it sounds like we will be able to achieve this if we either share the flow with the guest users via flow, or open up the form to allow it to be completed by anyone with the link 🙂 

Thanks for you help here, I now have the answer to my question 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,831)