cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

Can't convert string to date to set new date only field

I am trying to use an input from Power Apps to create a new record in a CDS entity. Below is part of my Flow configuration.

Config.PNG

I am initializing a string variable called Modified with the value coming from Power Apps. While testing, it is 3/31/2020. In the compose, the full Expression is

formatDateTime(variables('Modified'),'MM/dd/yyyy')

The Create a new record is not shown in full but in the Date field, I am just selecting Outputs from dynamic content.

The error I get is "An error occurred while validating input parameters: Microsoft.OData.ODataException: Cannot convert the literal '03-31-2020' to the expected type 'Edm.Date'...."

The date field is Date Only type and in Advanced options, behavior is Date only

I am not sure what's wrong with this. I have tried a few other variations of date formatting but haven't gotten it to work. Are there any other problems I'm missing with this?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Can't convert string to date to set new date only field

Hello,

Have you tried using the convert time zone action?
In the action use Short date pattern as the format string.

Or try using
convertFromUtc('<Time to Format>', 'Pacific Standard Time', 'd')

You can swap the Pacific Standard Time with your time zone. But must follow Microsoft’s ISO
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/973627/microsoft-time-zone-index-values

—Josh
If you like my post please hit the "Thumbs Up" -- If my post solved your issue please "Mark as a Solution" to help others

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you like my post please hit the Thumbs Up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Check out my blog for Power Automate tips, tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

Highlighted
Resolver III
Resolver III

Re: Can't convert string to date to set new date only field

Thank you for the response. I tried using the Convert time zone which is working fine. I am using the Converted time output as my field in Create a new record. The conversion seems to work but am still getting the same error on Create a new record.

Capture2.PNG

From Create a new record

Capture3.PNG

In Create a new record, I also tried using the following expression

convertFromUtc('2020-04-01T08:00:00.0000000Z', 'Pacific Standard Time', 'd')

with both single and double quotes around d and got the same error 

"An error occurred while validating input parameters: Microsoft.OData.ODataException: Cannot convert the literal '04-01-2020' to the expected type 'Edm.Date'..."

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (5,014)