Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skillsy
Advocate II
Advocate II

Can you set an automated flow to stop processing after 10 minutes

Hi, 

I have a flow that reads through an online Sharepoint Excel Spreadsheet looking for new entries and have filtered the List Rows present in a table to return about 60 rows that are active.

Twice now a flow just keeps running (14 hours this time) and subsequent flows also just start running and never finish although the odd one finishes correctly. The process should run every 15 minutes so if after 10 minutes, I would like the flow to die no matter where it is up to and email us that it has failed. Is this something that can be done easily?

Secondly DAK why this might occur. We do have three or four editors in the sheet at anytime but this was around midnight.

Thanks

skillsy_0-1602282435745.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@skillsy 

Try the below solution at the beginning of your flow after the recurrence trigger add a parallel branch with the desired delay, Send Email and call the Terminate Action this will stops the execution of your flow.

You can change the Message and code of the Terminate Action below:

Mira_Ghaly_0-1602325056831.png

Mira_Ghaly_1-1602325157049.png

Hope this makes sense!

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@skillsy 

Try the below solution at the beginning of your flow after the recurrence trigger add a parallel branch with the desired delay, Send Email and call the Terminate Action this will stops the execution of your flow.

You can change the Message and code of the Terminate Action below:

Mira_Ghaly_0-1602325056831.png

Mira_Ghaly_1-1602325157049.png

Hope this makes sense!

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here

View solution in original post

Thank you @Mira_Ghaly  for the exceedingly well explained process however will this not fail every time at 10 minutes even if the work branch was successful?

To fix that, you should add a terminate action also below the apply to each actions. The you need to set the terminate action to succeeded.

skillsy
Advocate II
Advocate II

Thanks @dennisb88 and through this thread and others who know far more than me, I managed to get it working so well, I have deployed this to other key flows...

The toolkit

1. Create a boolean  variable of processingCompleted and set it to false
  2. Create a branch just below this and...
  3. Do all your funky Flow stuff and at the very end, set processingCompleted = true
  4. The other branch, put a delay in and then check the value of processingCompleted and if it is false then you can create your warning and terminate.

I hope this helps

skillsy_0-1634127865214.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (3,284)