cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MichaelMS
Level: Powered On

Change flow from automated to scheduled

I have an automated flow that has a number of steps in it. Testing with data has shown that it should be a scheduled flow instead. Is there a way of changing or do I have to create a new scheduled flow and type everything in again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Change flow from automated to scheduled

Just go to the top of the Flow and delete the current Trigger.  Then insert a recurrence trigger in its place.  After that you can adjust the logic or add actions as needed to adapt the Flow.  I know automated and scheduled look in the UI like they are different entities.  But they aren't.  They just use different Triggers.  Change the Trigger and you will change the type of Flow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

The real difference between automated and scheduled is the trigger that is being used.  YOu can definately remove the original trigger and replace it with a recurrence trigger.  The problem is that a lot of your steps may be based off dynamic content that was provided by the original trigger.  YOu will have to modify your existing Flow to adapt for that change.

For example, lets say you have a Flow that is triggered when a new item is created in SharePoint.  If you remove the SharePoint trigger then you no longer have a reference to the item that is the context of the Flow to work with.  YOu would now need to add a Get Items action to filter the list to get a set of actions.  And then probably a Get Item action to select one of those items to work on in the rest of the Flow.

So yes you can change the flow from automated to scheduled without throwing your work away.  But its a more complex process than just flipping a switch

MichaelMS
Level: Powered On

@Pstork1 I understand about the steps needing changing, but I know that some elements will remian the same. My issue is I don't know where or how I can make the change to scheduled so I can start making further changes to make it work as desired. (if that makes sense)

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Just go to the top of the Flow and delete the current Trigger.  Then insert a recurrence trigger in its place.  After that you can adjust the logic or add actions as needed to adapt the Flow.  I know automated and scheduled look in the UI like they are different entities.  But they aren't.  They just use different Triggers.  Change the Trigger and you will change the type of Flow.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 372 members 6,807 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: