cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Check if file is open

Is there a way to check if an excel file in one drive is open so that I can delay a flow until it is closed and ready to use?

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: Check if file is open

@leyburn19 a flow can run even if the Excel file in OneDrive is open. I quite often have an Excel file open of monthly changes to a SharePoint site while a flow is running which deletes the current rows and then populates the spreadsheet with the new data. I find it quite fun to watch the rows disappearing and re-appearing in real time (but then I'v very old and little things like this amuse me).

Rob
Los Gallardos
If I've answered your question or solved your problem, please mark this question as answered. This helps others who have the same question find a solution quickly via the forum search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. Thanks.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Thanks Rob,

That would be fine if I was controlling sequential access,  but in this case I am not.  It is feasible (but rare) that one of my sites will start the process and another site do it at exactly the same time which means adding rows over the top or to the other. Each site (all 29) must end up with an independent outcome.  The process at its longest would take 20 minutes. I am actually thinking of two solutions at the moment.

1. Build a simple delay of 20 minutes at the beginning,  but this can meet the same issue

2. Have 29 separate sheets which are access by a switch.  Not sure a switch can do 29 cases.

Oh! Modified old saying - Age shall not weary them BUT the years sure do condemn.  (I fit the age bracket too)

Super User
Super User

@leyburn19 🙂 Last time I looked a switch could have 27 cases. Just short of what you need.

Rob
Los Gallardos

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users online (5,773)