cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HS_Nico
Helper II
Helper II

Child Flow Trigger: Manually trigger a flow vs PowerApps (V2)

Hello, everyone,

in the documentation for child flows (Call Child Flows - Power Automate | Microsoft Learn), Microsoft writes that you should use "Manually trigger a flow" as a trigger for the child flow. However, an action of the Power Apps connector is used as a response. That's why I'm wondering why not also use the "PowerApps (V2)" trigger of the Power Apps connector. This even has the advantage that you can also run the child flow in Power Apps. I didn't find any disadvantages in my tests.

What is your opinion on the topic?

Regards
Nico

2 REPLIES 2
CFernandes
Super User
Super User

Hey @HS_Nico There is a big advantage of using the Child Flow approach, I use it get around third party connectors for prompting for username and password. 

Have a look at - https://clavinfernandes.wordpress.com/2020/09/04/decouple-the-flow-from-the-power-app-to-prevent-end... 

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

P.S. take a look at my blog here and like & subscribe to my YouTube Channel thanks.

Hey @CFernandes,

thanks for your quick reply. I did not express myself well. I'm aware that using a child flow makes sense and has many advantages. I'm just considering which trigger is the best for my child flows.

In your example, you use a flow with Power Apps trigger to start the flow from within Power Apps. This flow then calls the child flow. However, if your child flow used the PowerApps (V2) trigger, you could launch it from both Power Apps and a parent flow.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Users online (4,178)