Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SamPo
Power Participant
Power Participant

Configure run after - Approval flow timeout

Hi,

I have a question about flow timeouts:

Let's say I have a flow with 2 approval actions (each set to the default timeout of 30 days) and let's say it took 20 days for the first approval to be responded to. Now the second approval technically has 30 more days to run but in reality the flow will timeout in 10 days as there is a 30 day limit on the entire flow.

I want a specific action (HTTP call) to happen in the case when the second approval reaches timeout. My question is this, if the entire flow times-outs (as described in the example above) then will the HTTP call fire if I set the 'configure run after' settings to run only when the second approval reaches timeout? Or in other words, is the approval itself considered 'timed-out' if the flow reaches 30 days (even though the approval is only 10 days old)?

If not then how can I catch this scenario of timeout? I do not want to use a general failure rule that will catch everything (skipped/failed/timeout)

Thanks

Sam 

7 REPLIES 7
RezaDorrani
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @SamPo 

The entire flow run duration is 30 days total.

So if second appproval is running and the flow has been running for 30 days,  the flow will error out.

Check this flow approval pattern to avoid the 30 day limit

https://sergeluca.wordpress.com/2018/11/26/new-flow-state-machine-pattern-with-unlimited-running-tim...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks,
Reza Dorrani, MVP
YouTube
Twitter

SamPo
Power Participant
Power Participant

Hi,

I know that but that's really not what I'm asking.

I'm asking specifically about the second approval and if it specifically will be considered timed out. Please read my original post as I'm asking a very specific question as to the behavior of the actions. 

Thanks. 

Hi @SamPo ,

If the flow times out, so would the associated approval action.

And even if the user responds to that approval action (since email would have gone out for approval), if the flow has timed out the flow run would not process the request futrher.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks,
Reza Dorrani, MVP
YouTube
Twitter

SamPo
Power Participant
Power Participant

@RezaDorrani okay so if I add an Http action and set the configure run after to 'when approval 2 has timed out' then this will fire when the whole flow times out, correct? 

Hi @SamPo 

I think I understand your question now but this is something that I have not tried out.

Let's see what @ScottShearer has to say about this one.

Thanks,
Reza Dorrani, MVP
YouTube
Twitter

SamPo
Power Participant
Power Participant

@RezaDorrani The main problem here is its very difficult to test and I'm building a flow to which this question is critical. Thanks. 

SamPo
Power Participant
Power Participant

Adding @rohsh354 here as well to see if anyone from MS has an answer to this question.

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Users online (2,368)