Did you mean: 
EdwardC
Helper III
Helper III

Copy File isn't copying the Content Control variables

Hi there,

This is my flow setup:

flow.png

It copies and moves the word doc fine but when I open the word doc, all the Content Control variables aren't populated. It basically didn't get copied over. Anyone know why? 

For example, the "Company Name" should've been populated "Polo" instead of the Content Control default name "Company Name":

flow2.png

I checked the orginial word doc and it has everything in there.

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @EdwardC

Could you please explain more details about the Content Control variables that you mentioned?

Please share more details so we would try to provide a proper workaround for you.

Best regards,

Alice

Hi Alice,

Content Control variables are fields which are pulled from SharePoint.

You can get content variables by:

1) Open Word

2) Click on Insert tab and go to Quick Parts

3) Click on Document Properties -> Select your variable (these are content variables)

I can't really explain how it works in detail but this link seems to explain it pretty well:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-quick-parts-and-autotext-in-word-7a527697-058f-4967-b8f...

Basically my issue is it's not copying over the populated variables. Instead, it's just copying over the empty Content Variable. 

To give you guys a better idea, I'm copying the file from Document Library to a Document Set. The Word doc's metabase isn't copied over for whatever reason. No one else experienced this issue?

Office365Master
Advocate V
Advocate V

Have you tried adding a final step to the Flow: SharePoint "Update file properties"

Then set property of the copied file based on the outputs of the previous "Get file properties".

A bit tedious but I'd think it should work...

Ohh that's great thinking. Didn't think of that.. I'll give that a try. 

To do that, I'll have to first create all the categories again on the document sets so it can have feilds on FLow to update. I'll keep you updated

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Users online (3,697)