Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ClaireAllen
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Copy SharePoint Lists attachments to a SharePoint Library

Hi,

I'm new to Flow and have just started to look at what it can do for me in my Job,

I'm looking for an option to take a SharePoint List attachment and move / copy it into a SharePoint Document Library.

Can this be done in Flow?

If anyone has any how to's that would be really helpful.

Thank you

Claire

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ ClaireAllen,

Do you want to copy attachments of the item to SharePoint library when a new item is created ?

Or do you want to copy attachments of all items in SharePoint list to SharePoint library?

I have made a test on my side,  If you want to copy attachments of the item to SharePoint library when a new item is created. please refer to steps below to create the flow to copy the attachments from a sharepoint list to SharePoint Document Library :

1.    Add a trigger “When an item is created” of sharepoint connector, fill in the “Site Address” and “List Name” field.

2.    Add action “Get attachments”, fill in the the “Site Address” and “List Name” field, choose the “ID” dynamic content of the trigger in the “Id” field.

3.    Add an “Apply to each”, choose the “Body” dynamic content of the “Get attachments” in the input field.

4.    Add action “Get attachment content” inside the “Apply to each”, fill in the “Site Address” and “List Name” field, choose the “ID” dynamic content of the trigger in the “Id” field, choose the “Id” dynamic content of the “Get attachments”  in the “File Identifier” field.

5.    Add action “Create file” under the “Get attachment content”, choose the “Site Address” and “Folder Path” field, choose the “DisplayName” dynamic content of “Get attachments” in the “File Name” field, choose the “Attachment content” dynamic content of “Get attachment content” in the “File content” field.  

1.png

When I create an item with attachments in the list as below: 

2.png

the flow would run successfully as below: 

3.png

The attachment would be created in the document as delow:

4.png

If you want to copy attachments of all items in SharePoint list to SharePoint library, You could modify the trigger to “Manually trigger a flow”, and add action “Get items” of Sharepoint connector ,and then copy all attachments in the list to SharePoint library.

Regards,
Alice Zhang

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ ClaireAllen,

Do you want to copy attachments of the item to SharePoint library when a new item is created ?

Or do you want to copy attachments of all items in SharePoint list to SharePoint library?

I have made a test on my side,  If you want to copy attachments of the item to SharePoint library when a new item is created. please refer to steps below to create the flow to copy the attachments from a sharepoint list to SharePoint Document Library :

1.    Add a trigger “When an item is created” of sharepoint connector, fill in the “Site Address” and “List Name” field.

2.    Add action “Get attachments”, fill in the the “Site Address” and “List Name” field, choose the “ID” dynamic content of the trigger in the “Id” field.

3.    Add an “Apply to each”, choose the “Body” dynamic content of the “Get attachments” in the input field.

4.    Add action “Get attachment content” inside the “Apply to each”, fill in the “Site Address” and “List Name” field, choose the “ID” dynamic content of the trigger in the “Id” field, choose the “Id” dynamic content of the “Get attachments”  in the “File Identifier” field.

5.    Add action “Create file” under the “Get attachment content”, choose the “Site Address” and “Folder Path” field, choose the “DisplayName” dynamic content of “Get attachments” in the “File Name” field, choose the “Attachment content” dynamic content of “Get attachment content” in the “File content” field.  

1.png

When I create an item with attachments in the list as below: 

2.png

the flow would run successfully as below: 

3.png

The attachment would be created in the document as delow:

4.png

If you want to copy attachments of all items in SharePoint list to SharePoint library, You could modify the trigger to “Manually trigger a flow”, and add action “Get items” of Sharepoint connector ,and then copy all attachments in the list to SharePoint library.

Regards,
Alice Zhang

Hi @v-yuazh-msft

Thank you for the reply, 

I followed the steps below and the flow ran, it was great.

I have created a SP List and I want to take the attachments from that item and copy them into a SP Library

I know you have explained below what I need to do, but I'm not 100% sure on which trigger I need to adjust, are you able to send me details?

I really appreciate your help, and when the flow ran, it was a relieft I feel that I am actually getting somewhere

Kind regards

Clire

Hi,

I have been looking at the flow, and have made some adjustments, I think I chose the wrong destintation path.

I've tried again and have started to get documents into my Library, but for some reason, if I select more than one only 1 file has been uploaded, the other two have not loaded.

And it only seems to be uploading PDF files and nothing else.

Any sugesstions please?

Kind regards

Claire 

Sorry, another post

I have managed to get a word document in, and tested it and uploaded the same document with the same name and the version has changed which is great.

The only thing currently is that I am not able to get more than one document in at one time.

But i think this flow is great.

Regards

Claire

Hello @v-yuazh-msft

In relation to the flow that you have done getting attachments from a list and moving to a SharePoint Library, which I would like to add is working really well.

Question.  Have you ever done one where you move the Metadata as well?

Thank you

Claire

Hi @v-yuazh-msft,

I used your flow and it works pretty well. However, whenever I attach a file over 1MB, the flow resolves ("successfully") without moving the file and metadata to the library. It seems that flow is registering the "Body" of the attachment as empty (e.g. []). I posted about this issue at the link below, with screenshots.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Attachment-Body-of-SharePoint-List-is-registering...

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Excellent article! I was able to move the list attachments to a doc library, however, I am looking the attachments in a folder/doc set in the doc library. I tried the solution from this link(http://www.sharepointing.co.uk/2018/01/15/copy-sharepoint-list-attachments-to-document-library/) but could not figure out a way to compose action for folder path and 'creating folder by creating the text file' action as mentioned in this article.

2. Once the doc is moved to the folder, I'd like to put the link to the folder on the list item form.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions here?

Thanks

I was able to figure this out. In the 'create file' step use the folder path string in this format: /[library name]/[FolderName]

[Library Name] is the name of the library where you want to create the folder

[FolderName]- This is the name of the folder, you can pick any property from the list metadata based on your requirements. In my case am using the Company ame field from the list item. Screen shot attached.

CopyListItemToFolderInLibrary.png

julilis
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi all,

I am wondering if it is possible to create a link between the SharePoint list and the SharePoint library, because in this steps above we are only dealing with the copying of the files. When I tried to edit the file in Word (online) - SharePoint library, it did not change in the version in the Sharepoint List.

Thank you,

Juli

Hi Julie,

Have you considered adding a collumn to the sharepoint list that contains the link to your document library? That would allow you to link your list items to a corresponding document library file, which would then update as it was edited.

Cheers,
Sam

Hi samstarzy,

Thank you so much for your answer.

I'm not sure if this will work, I'm working with PowerApps and the SharePoint list. My idea is to create a link between the Sharepoint List and the SharePoint Library to upload the files in Microsoft Teams.

Thanks,
Juli

@samstarzy wrote:

Hi Julie,

Have you considered adding a collumn to the sharepoint list that contains the link to your document library? That would allow you to link your list items to a corresponding document library file, which would then update as it was edited.

Cheers,
Sam

Hi @v-yuazh-msft 
Thanks for sharing this Flow. Its worked great for me.

Though it is not saving the attachment as PDF into the created file

Any idea why?

Hello
Is it possible to create a folder by ID and save the attachments inside?

for each ID I have about 10 files

What do you think? Thanks

@javierz wrote:

Hello
Is it possible to create a folder by ID and save the attachments inside?

for each ID I have about 10 files

What do you think? Thanks

Annotation 2019-08-16 010713.png
Create a step in data operations and select Compose as Action. give your folder path in SharePoint site. add ID and name after "/" . it wil create folder "ID - Item Name".

while creating files in library, give folder path as output from Compose action.

Hi,

I've been trying to create a flow for this purpose, but I'm getting an error message with status code 400: 

<m:code>-2147024809, System.ArgumentException</m:code>
<m:message xml:lang="en-US">
Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.
</m:message>
</m:error>

Any idea what might be an issue here?

Any input would be much appreciated.
Audrie-MSFT
Power Automate
Power Automate

I created this video to clarify dependencies on this question, although it's not the exact scenario it should help you understand how to get file content from attachments. Please let me know if it is helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoBKDJD0uZo

Thank you for your patience,

Audrie

Hi 

thanks for the solution, works perfectly and also creates sub-folder.

This also will be simple by modifying the single item solution: copy attachments of all items in SharePoint list to SharePoint library.

I have 1 question , Did you try to add other fields from item to the library against each attachment Eg: user name / item ID 

Hi @v-yuazh-msft, is it possible to copy each attachment into different folders?

Is it possible to add a condition to this flow that only sends specific attachments dependent on the content in a separate column? For example, I have a list that includes attachments containing content that has to go through a clearance process. My list includes a "Status" column that has choices: "Cleared," "Submitted/Waiting," "Clearance Denied." I want the flow to get attachments that have been marked "Cleared" in the "Status" column and send to a separate document library of cleared content. 

Helpful resources

Announcements

Tuesday Tips: Getting Started in the Community

TUESDAY TIPS is back!   This weekly series of posts is our way of sharing helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! The original run of Tuesday Tips was a highlight of last year, and these all-new Tips will hopefully prove to be just as informative as helpful. We will cover some basics about the Community, a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and sharing best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users. Make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   THIS WEEK: I'm Brand New! What Do I Do? The number of new community members we have each week is pretty amazing, and we are so glad to welcome all of you to the Community! You may be wondering. "What do I do? Where do I get started? Will anyone be willing to help me? What I have a question? Help!"   Let's start with this: Welcome to the low-code revolution, and more importantly, welcome to the Power Platform Community! This is a great place to start. Whether you're busy with Power Apps, getting familiar with Power Automate, engaging Copilot Studio, or building in Power Pages, there are a few key places you should check out as you begin your journey: FORUMS: The forums are THE place to ask questions, look at questions asked by other Community members—and see answers and solutions from our Super Users and other helpful people in the Community. Power Apps ForumsPower Automate ForumsCopilot Studio ForumsPower Pages Forums   NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS: Our News & Announcements section highlights the newest and greatest updates in the Community, news from the product team, and so much more. It’s updated a few times each week and will also help you find ways to connect with what’s going on in the ever-growing world of Power Platform. Power Apps News & AnnouncementsPower Automate News & AnnouncementsCopilot Studio News & AnnouncementsPower Pages News & Announcements   GALLERIES: The Galleries section of the Community features tons of tips and tricks, features and benefits, and more—through videos created by our Super Users, product teams, and other helpful members of the Community. Power Apps GalleriesPower Automate Galleries Copilot Studio GalleriesPower Pages Galleries BLOGS: The community blogs section is full of handy step-by-step tips from members of the Community—and some of them include detailed answers to some of the questions most frequently asked questions, as well as how they solved a problem they faced. Power Apps Community BlogPower Automate Community BlogCopilot Studio Community BlogPower Pages Community Blog POWER UP PROGRAM: If you’d like to really take a huge step forward in your journey, we recommend checking out the Power Up Program, a Microsoft-sponsored initiative that trains new Power Platform users and has been a huge success since it launched a little over a year ago. There’s a waiting list, so definitely apply soon if you’re interested! Find out more here: Microsoft Power Up Program for career switchers.   There's so much more you'll discover in your Power Platform experience, and this Community is here for YOU! We are glad you've discovered us and can't wait to see where you grow! If you're new to the Community and just getting started, make sure to give this post a kudo and introduce yourself so we can welcome you!

Super User of the Month | Drew Poggemann

As part of a new monthly feature in the Community, we are excited to share that Drew Poggemann is our featured Super User for the month of February 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure Drew's name is familiar to you, as he is one of our most active contributors--he's been a Super User for five consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply 5 years ago to his 514th solution authored, Drew has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Drew is also a User Group leader and a Microsoft MVP. His contributions to our Super User sessions and to the new SUIT program are always welcome--as well as his sense of humor and fun-loving way of sharing what he knows with others.   When Drew is not solving problems and authoring solutions, he's busy overseeing the Solution Architecture team at HBS, specializing in application architecture and business solution strategy--something he's been doing for over 30 years. We are grateful for Drew and the amazing way he has used his talent and skills to help so many others in the Community. If you are part of the SUIT program, you got to hear some great tips from Drew at the first SUIT session--and we know he still has much more to share!You can find him in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thank you for all you do, Drew!

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Our team will be reviewing posts using the new "Copilot Studio" label to ensure we highlight and amplify the most relevant and recent content, so you're assured of high-quality content every time you visit. If you share a post that gets featured in the curated gallery, you'll get a PM in the Community to let you know!The curated gallery is ready for you to experience now, so visit the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community. We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!    

Celebrating a New Season of Super Users with Charles Lamanna, CVP Microsoft Business Applications

February 8 was the kickoff to the 2024 Season One Super User program for Power Platform Communities, and we are thrilled to welcome back so many returning Super Users--as well as so many brand new Super Users who started their journey last fall. Our Community Super Users are the true heroes, answering questions, providing solutions, filtering spam, and so much more. The impact they make on the Communities each day is significant, and we wanted to do something special to welcome them at our first kickoff meeting of the year.   Charles Lamanna, Microsoft CVP of Business Applications, has stressed frequently how valuable our Community is to the growth and potential of Power Platform, and we are honored to share this message from him to our 2024 Season One Super Users--as well as anyone who might be interested in joining this elite group of Community members.     If you want to know more about Super Users, check out these posts for more information today:    Power Apps: What is A Super User? - Power Platform CommunityPower Automate: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Copilot Studio: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Power Pages: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community

Super Users 2024 Season One is Here!

We are excited to announce the first season of our 2024 Super Users is here! Our kickoff to the new year welcomes many returning Super Users and several new faces, and it's always exciting to see the impact these incredible individuals will have on the Community in 2024! We are so grateful for the daily difference they make in the Community already and know they will keep staying engaged and excited for all that will happen this year.   How to Spot a Super User in the Community:Have you ever written a post or asked for help in the Community and had it answered by a user with the Super User icon next to their name? It means you have found the actual, real-life superheroes of the Power Platform Community! Super Users are our heroes because of the way they consistently make a difference in the Community. Our amazing Super Users help keep the Community a safe place by flagging spam and letting the Community Managers know about issues. They also make the Community a great place to find answers, because they are often the first to offer solutions and get clarity on questions. Finally, Super Users share valuable insights on ways to keep the Community growing, engaging, and looking ahead!We are honored to reveal the new badges for this season of Super Users! Congratulations to all the new and returning Super Users!     To better answer the question "What is a Super User?" please check out this article: Power Apps: What is A Super User? - Power Platform CommunityPower Automate: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Copilot Studio: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community Power Pages: What is A Super User? - Power Platform Community

Microsoft Power Platform | 2024 Release Wave 1 Plan

Check out the latest Microsoft Power Platform release plans for 2024!   We have a whole host of exciting new features to help you be more productive, enhance delegation, run automated testing, build responsive pages, and so much more.    Click the links below to see not only our forthcoming releases, but to also try out some of the new features that have recently been released to market across:     Power Apps  Power Automate  Copilot Studio   We can’t wait to share with you all the upcoming releases that will help take your Power Platform experience to the next level!    Check out the entire Release Wave: Power Platform Complete Release Planner 

Users online (4,949)