cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Copying/moving files according to file name to a particular user

Hi,

I want to know if it is possible to copy files from one directory to a private user directory according to a file name. The file name contains user data. I want to copy 'pdf' files from SharePoint to OneDrive or from OneDrive to OneDrive (for me it doesn't matter).

My goal:

In Sharepoint an accountant has a private catalog 'Invoices' with invoice files (about 150 invoices every month). When a file is created or modified triger performs acction and moves/ copies the particular file to a particular employee catalog. The pattern for every file is: Invoice - FirstName LastName.pdf (Invoice - John Smith.pdf).

Currently the accountant sends an invoice to every employee individually which is waste of time.

Is this case possible in Microsoft Flow, which modules or blocks should I use?

Thank you for your help.

Regars

PS: So far I have created a flow which extracts user first name and last name, create individual email adress and send the file via email. It works on SharePoint. They want the scenario with copying or moving files from one dir to another. I can't do this. 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User III
Super User III

@Anonymous :

The issue that you are facing is that the account used for the connection in Flow that will move the files to and from various OneDrive locations must have appropriate permissions in each and every OneDrive location that it will use.

I suggest that an easier way to go about this might be to use a SharePoint library with folders.  The folders would be named for each impacted user.  Permissions on the folder would be set such that only the named user and the account used in Flow has access by default.

If this addresses your issue, please mark you post as Solved.

If you like my solution, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User III
Super User III

@Anonymous :

The issue that you are facing is that the account used for the connection in Flow that will move the files to and from various OneDrive locations must have appropriate permissions in each and every OneDrive location that it will use.

I suggest that an easier way to go about this might be to use a SharePoint library with folders.  The folders would be named for each impacted user.  Permissions on the folder would be set such that only the named user and the account used in Flow has access by default.

If this addresses your issue, please mark you post as Solved.

If you like my solution, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ScottShearer , thank you so much for your reply and suggestion.

Truth be told I had no idea how to approach the issue and your advice seems to be fine. I am going to try SharePoint library and let you know.

I will close the topic when I solve my problem.

Regards,
Rafał

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Power Platform: 2021 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April through September 2021.

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (31,228)