cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
enswitzer
Helper II
Helper II

Create SharePoint Item based on another SharePoint List

I would like to create a "Status Update" Item each month for every Active Project on my list. Is this possible?

My data looks like this:

Sharepoint List 1: Project Portfolio - Project Input (X represents data being loaded that just isn't important here)

TitleProject StatusProject LeadProduct ManagerSponsorProject CategoryObjectiveScope...
Project 1ActiveErin NicoleXXXXX 
Project 2ClosedXXXXXX 
Project 3ProposedXXXXXX 

Based on the Status of the Project (if ACTIVE), I would like to create a new Item in another SharePoint List at the beginning of each month and have it send a reminder to the Project Lead. 

Sharepoint List 2: Project Portfolio - Monthly Project Status

Project TitleStatus DateKey ActionsMitigation & Needed SupportRisks & OpportunitiesTop Issues
Project 19/1/2020****

* represents the data that would need to be filled out by Erin the project lead

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
rsaikrishna
Community Champion
Community Champion

@enswitzer 

This is straight forward and feasible by using Flow.

Created a sample flow for your case:

rsaikrishna_0-1600222072240.png

rsaikrishna_1-1600222113601.png

Here are steps:

1. Create a scheduled flow to run the flow every month on a specific date.

2. Get all the items from Projects list whose status is Active. You can see this condition in FilterQuery field in Get Items action in the above screen shot.

3. Check if "Get Items" returns at least one item.

4. If there are at least one item, loop thru each item to Create an item and Send an email.

Regards

Krishna Rachakonda

If this reply helped you to solve the issue, please mark the post as Accepted SolutionMarking this post as Accepted Solution, will help many other users to use this post to solve same or similar issue without re-posting the issue in the group. Saves a lot of time for everyone.

View solution in original post

enswitzer
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction! Couldn't get the Query Filter to work, but ended up getting all items and then filtering it before applying the logic. 

enswitzer_0-1600267087544.png

@rsaikrishna - Thanks again!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rsaikrishna
Community Champion
Community Champion

@enswitzer 

This is straight forward and feasible by using Flow.

Created a sample flow for your case:

rsaikrishna_0-1600222072240.png

rsaikrishna_1-1600222113601.png

Here are steps:

1. Create a scheduled flow to run the flow every month on a specific date.

2. Get all the items from Projects list whose status is Active. You can see this condition in FilterQuery field in Get Items action in the above screen shot.

3. Check if "Get Items" returns at least one item.

4. If there are at least one item, loop thru each item to Create an item and Send an email.

Regards

Krishna Rachakonda

If this reply helped you to solve the issue, please mark the post as Accepted SolutionMarking this post as Accepted Solution, will help many other users to use this post to solve same or similar issue without re-posting the issue in the group. Saves a lot of time for everyone.

Thanks so much! This is great. I think I'm super close. However, when I try to use the Filter Query option - it says there is no dynamic content available. Do you know why that would be? 

enswitzer_0-1600260561983.png

enswitzer_5-1600260768542.png

My condition I set up looks like this, but I don't think it's even getting to this step in the flow:

enswitzer_1-1600260588666.png

enswitzer_2-1600260626821.png

enswitzer_3-1600260680231.png

OK - did some searching - understand why no dynamic expression, but I still can't quite get this to work... I am trying to use the Project Status ID field, where 2 = Active, but keep getting an error:

enswitzer_0-1600263710879.png

If I try to use the Project Status field, I think I'm running into an issue because when I look at the get item output when I have no filter, I find that the output is not just "Active" it actually looks like this:

"Project_x0020_Status":{"@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference","Id":2,"Value":"Active"}

I've tried: 

Project_x0020_Status  eq '{"@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference","Id":2,"Value":"Active"}' as well, but still cannot get it to run through 😕

enswitzer
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction! Couldn't get the Query Filter to work, but ended up getting all items and then filtering it before applying the logic. 

enswitzer_0-1600267087544.png

@rsaikrishna - Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (2,985)