cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joef
Level 8

Create a FLOW that will list an items versions?

Hi All,

When you click on alert me in a list you recieve an alert that highlights the changes.  (too bad you can't customize the alert me)

I have many custom FLOWS that go to certain groups based on the column selections.  Most of these list have 20 or more columns.  When an item is updated, an alert goes out, but it only shows the current version of the item, which leads to more emails asking what was changed. 

Is there a way for FLOW to pull the previous version as well as the current? 

Is there a way for FLOW to highlight was was new/updated in the item?

I would really like the "Alert Me" version tracking in FLOW.

TIA,

Joe

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: Create a FLOW that will list an items versions?

Currently, the SharePoint connector only monitors the latest changes and has very little insight into historical changes. If this is functionality you would like to see added to Flow, please consider submitting it to the Flow Ideas page, where it can be voted on by other users, and tracked and commented on by the Flow team.

The SharePoint REST API also provides full control of all historical changes within SharePoint and is accessable in Flow via HTTP requests. See the Sharepoint 2013 REST Service: Selected Endpoints for Files and Folders syntax map (PDF download).

For a more out of the box solution, you could create a "List Tracker" SharePoint List, that captures a history of all of the changes from your various lists. You could capture the List Name, the List Updater, the update Date/Time and the Column(s) that were changed to this master list by adding a Create item step at the end of each one of your Flows, to update the "List Tracker" list. 

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

joef
Level 8

Hi @Brad_Groux ,

Thanks for the response. 

You wouldn't happen to have any examples of calling an HTTP request from FLOW would you? 

I haven't been able to find anything that was not related to AZURE AD, and I have no rights to AD :(.  

Nor have have I been able to find any examples of a REST call to get an item's version history.

Thanks again,

Joe

Super User
Super User

There is an HTTP Card Tutorial here, and @Chakkaradeep has a great blog post,  Working with the SharePoint Send HTTP Request flow action.

Accessing on-premise or private SharePoint environments utilizes the same connector as SharePoint Online. If you have rights to view the data, you should be able to access it while using the API with your credentials.

As for accessing version history, read up on GetVersionCollection method and/or see this post Using Versions.aspx application page.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Highlighted
joef
Level 8

Thanks again!!

I have a lot of reading and work to do 🙂

Super User
Super User

If you hit any snags along the way come back and post some screenshots, and we'll be happy to assist further!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users online (3,853)