cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZeroCool
Level: Power Up

Create a flow for shared mailbox

Is it possible to create a flow that would trigger when a new mail comes on a shared mailbox?

I've seen several posts in here that people got it to work, but I don't understand how to set it up.

I've tried the "reset password" on a shared mailbox but could never login using the shared box credentials.

What am I missing? Is the feature supported?

26 REPLIES 26
ZeroCool

Re: Create a flow for shared mailbox

I made it work, thanks to some other posts on this forum!

Emilio
Level: Powered On

Can you link the post that your are referring to here?

I may need it too.

Emilio Rinaudo
HallieG

Hi,

Can please explain how you managed to get the shared mailbox feature to work with flow. 

petervdzande

U just need to setup a new connection with the credentials from your shared mailbox.

I also did it and now i can use the Outlook Office 365 service with 2 accounts.

1 personal and the other the shared mailbox.

If u dont have a password set for your shared mailbox, just set it in Office 365.

U can see the user that is linked to the shared mailbox in Office 365, Active Users

Then Set password.

At new connection set: emailadres of sharedmailbox en fill in the password.

Done....

miliscm

1. You log on to the flow with your account.

2. Go to the connection settings and click Create connection.

3. Create a connection with Outlook 365 using shared box login and password.

4. When you have the flow ready, make the connection change in the send step as shown in the image

tela flow.JPG

davidlwise

Everything in this post talks about signing on with a shared mailbox password, but here it is in Microsoft's own words:

Shared mailboxes in Office 365 Exchange Online allow a group of users to view and send e-mail from a common mailbox. A shared mailbox: doesn't have a username and password, so users cannot log on to it directly. A user must sign in to his/her own mailbox and then open the shared mailbox using Send As permissions.

So I ask the same question.  How can you get a flow to monitor a shared mailbox.  The word "password" in connection with that shared mailbox has no place in the correct answer.

Brutalliance

I have the same issue. Only my main mailbox folders is visible for Flow. Adding new connection does not help, even if I enter shared mailbox adress as login it will just create duplicated connection of my main mailbox.
Outlook rules are also running only manually in that mailbox (had idea to just dump needed mails to my main account) so I do not have options how to automate this process.

MW1

Any news on this topic? I am also interested in creating a flow that triggers when a email is received in a shared mailbox.

SolovisSamS

I believe the previous poster must be using an Office 365 User, since they would have a login. I do not see a way to assign a shared mailbox a password and believe @davidlwise is correct with his statements. 

Does this mean that we would have to shift Shared Mailboxes to actual users? Or could we set up an auto forwarding rule that if it comes into sharedmailbox@email.com to direct to a slave users email which would then allow us to login to Flow as a connection?

Brutalliance

The only reason why I needed shared mailbox was to have dedicated mailbox for scheduled reports and so they can be later redirected to sharepoint site using MS Flow. And.. I am not able to do it.

Austin828

I was just able to complete this sucessfully, if you are an O365 admin simply go to the admin portal, search for the shared mailbox and click the reset password option. Obviously the shared mailbox doesnt have a PW but doing this will allow you to use the pw you reset it as to be used to connect in Flow. 

You can see the reset pw option here
flow.PNG

SolovisSamS

That is a regular User. If you go to Groups and then Shared Mailbox, you will see when clicking on one that it only has Delete up in the top there. You also do not have an area to assign Product Licenses. 

Austin828

This isn't a regular user I promise. I can send screenshots if need be, but take my word for it thats a shared mailbox in my previous post. Don't go to groups in the admin portal, click on the home tab, then use the search bar there. For whatever reason those options only populate when searching for it this way. I'm not sure if this is reliable but I just wanted to share my process because I was able to get it working fairly quick. 

flow2.PNG

Austin828

I forgot to mention one last thing. Microsoft now has a flow template that is in preview mode for emails in shared mailboxes not sure if the password reset or the template allowed the process to work. 

Also note that in my flow as a connector my account is listed as the connection, not the shared mailbox. But everything is working as intended. 
flow3.PNG

SolovisSamS

I stand corrected. However, it looks as though you can find any shared mailbox as a User if you search for the email in Users. I created one the other day and it is showing up if i search for the email under Users. 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

You should be able to enter the shared email address in "New email in shared mailbox" trigger. Be sure to delete a semi colon if it is added automatically by Flow. When I removed the semicolon I had access to all the shared mailbox folders and subfolders.

CattH

Nevermind I see this was already answered above

Vodor

Just created a flow sucessfully on a true shared mailbox using the (now out of preview) trigger option that austin has found.

Works great!

joserenato

Hi Nelia 

Thanks for your post 

Removing the semicolon (;) after the mailbox address gave me access to the folders on the shared inbox

This is one of those tricks "tick the box" to work properly

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 302 members 6,228 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: