cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Apaelijo
Level: Powered On

Create item in SharePoint announcement list when a Yammer Announcement is posted

I'd like to create a SharePoint announcement list item when a Yammer Announcement is posted.

Flow can capture the Body of the Yammer announcement but the Yammer announcement Title does not show up from the list of Dynamic contents to chose from.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Create item in SharePoint announcement list when a Yammer Announcement is posted

Hi @Apaelijo,

While I understand the Yammer Announcement Title is not available in the Dynamic content list, there's a way to retrieve it to achieve your goal. I decided to re-create your scenario on my end and this is how I was able to achieve it:

1. The first step is the trigger: "When there is a new message in a group". Every time a Flow runs, the trigger step returns the OUTPUTS of the respective action, which in our case is a new message in a Yammer group. Here's a screenshot of the trigger and a screenshot of the OUTPUTS from our trigger.
    YammerTitle-1.JPGTriggerYammerTitle-2.JPGTrigger Output

2. The next step is the Condition. In it you need to check if the value of the "message_type" property is announcement as shown in the second screenshot above. In the Choose a value field, click on the Expression tab and enter the expression below. And the condition to check for is equal to announcement.
    triggerBody()?['message_type']
    YammerTitle-3.JPGCondition ExpressionYammerTitle-4.JPGComplete Condition
  3. If the condition above is true, then we proceed to create the announcement in the SharePoint announcement list. Set the Site Address and the List Name. For the Title field, use the expression below.
    triggerBody()['title']
    YammerTitle-5.JPGSet Title field value
  4. And for the Body field, follow the screenshot below to set its value.
    YammerTitle-6.JPGSet Body field value

This approach worked for me just fine. If you try it, please let me know how it goes, and if it solved your issue, please mark your post as solved.

Regards,
Fausto Capellan, Jr

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Did my response help? Please give it a thumbs up!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Super User
Super User

Re: Create item in SharePoint announcement list when a Yammer Announcement is posted

Hi @Apaelijo,

While I understand the Yammer Announcement Title is not available in the Dynamic content list, there's a way to retrieve it to achieve your goal. I decided to re-create your scenario on my end and this is how I was able to achieve it:

1. The first step is the trigger: "When there is a new message in a group". Every time a Flow runs, the trigger step returns the OUTPUTS of the respective action, which in our case is a new message in a Yammer group. Here's a screenshot of the trigger and a screenshot of the OUTPUTS from our trigger.
    YammerTitle-1.JPGTriggerYammerTitle-2.JPGTrigger Output

2. The next step is the Condition. In it you need to check if the value of the "message_type" property is announcement as shown in the second screenshot above. In the Choose a value field, click on the Expression tab and enter the expression below. And the condition to check for is equal to announcement.
    triggerBody()?['message_type']
    YammerTitle-3.JPGCondition ExpressionYammerTitle-4.JPGComplete Condition
  3. If the condition above is true, then we proceed to create the announcement in the SharePoint announcement list. Set the Site Address and the List Name. For the Title field, use the expression below.
    triggerBody()['title']
    YammerTitle-5.JPGSet Title field value
  4. And for the Body field, follow the screenshot below to set its value.
    YammerTitle-6.JPGSet Body field value

This approach worked for me just fine. If you try it, please let me know how it goes, and if it solved your issue, please mark your post as solved.

Regards,
Fausto Capellan, Jr

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Did my response help? Please give it a thumbs up!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

Apaelijo
Level: Powered On

double like!

1.) The solution is exactly what I needed - it works!

2.) Appreciate the step-by-step guide

Thanks again @faustocapellanj

Super User
Super User

Hi @Apaelijo

I'm glad to hear that solution for you.

Regards,

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for documenting this step by step.  The only part I can't match is the last step #4 where you are adding the "body" field.  I don't seem to have that option.  When I select "Create SharePoint Item", I can only complete thrugh Step #3 with the Title.  I don't see another SharePoint option for create item so how do you get the Body field to show as an option?

Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

I did a more thorough walk-thru in a blog post about this forum post. To get the body, you should look at step #9 in the blog. Here's the link:Get Yammer Announcement Title using Microsoft Flow

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  I'm still unable to get the Body field, but perhaps that is based on the custom list I created in SPO?  I am using the classic SPO (not modern).

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous

If you haven't resolved this yet, can you please post a screenshot of your flow configuration so I can take a look?

Thanks,

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the follow-up.  I meant to come back and post that I finally resolved the issue by re-creating the Flow from start to finish.  I never could isolate the problem in the existing Flow and wonder if something was hung up in the Cache.   Many thanks for your assistance and your step-by-step blog.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users online (4,244)