cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create many-to-many relationship using Flow

Hi,

I have 2 CDS entities related with many-to-many relationship. I want to relate 2 records from both entities together but unfortunately Microsoft Flow can't do it. Using PowerApps is not an option (need to do it in a loop). How can I achieve it?

Regards,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Create many-to-many relationship using Flow

Hi @Mike_Guzowski 

When a many to many relationship is created in the CDS, I believe this is actually creating a link entity with two 1 to many relationships. This link entity is then hidden and you have no way to access or modify it. In order to get more control over the relationship and achieve your requirement, I think you will need to create the link entity manually.

For example if you have Entity A and Entity B that need to be linked using a many to many. Create a new entity (Entity C) and add lookup fields to both Entity A and Entity B. This will create a 1 to many from your link entity to both A and B, and therefore creating a many to many between A and B.

image.png

Then, when you want to create the relationship within Flow. You simply create a new record (Entity C) and set the lookup values for Entity A and Entity B.

Hope that all makes sense.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mike_Guzowski 

When a many to many relationship is created in the CDS, I believe this is actually creating a link entity with two 1 to many relationships. This link entity is then hidden and you have no way to access or modify it. In order to get more control over the relationship and achieve your requirement, I think you will need to create the link entity manually.

For example if you have Entity A and Entity B that need to be linked using a many to many. Create a new entity (Entity C) and add lookup fields to both Entity A and Entity B. This will create a 1 to many from your link entity to both A and B, and therefore creating a many to many between A and B.

image.png

Then, when you want to create the relationship within Flow. You simply create a new record (Entity C) and set the lookup values for Entity A and Entity B.

Hope that all makes sense.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

Thanks @LeeHarris . This is how I've workarounded this relationship so far but TBH I think it's a temporary solution. Especially that CDS allow for creating N:N relationship so the lack of functional support seems to be a bug to me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,535)