cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Create planner event and assign user ID

Hello,

I'm using flow to create an event in microsoft planner. There's an option for "Assigned User Id". This isnt a drop down list and I've tried to populate with the users office 365 email address but it isnt working.

Could someone tell me what value to place in this option?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hi all - we are tracking an improvement to add support for UPN/email address in the assigned to field. If you could also add the suggestion to our ideas forum for other users to vote that will help with the prioritization - https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Until then the Delve suggestion is a great one, you can also leverage the O365 Users connector which can map a UPN to the ID required in the Planner connector.

View solution in original post

Hi all - the Planner connector has been updated to now allow UPN in the "Assigned to" field, as well as the user ID. Hopefully that makes it easier to use, please continue to provide suggested improvements to the connector!

12 REPLIES 12
DionGoile
Advocate II
Advocate II

"assignments": {
      "d2817eda-ce46-42fe-89f4-525ce2823b45": {
        "@odata.type": "#microsoft.graph.plannerAssignment",
        "assignedBy": {
          "user": {
            "displayName": null,
            "id": "34651387-a6c8-4459-922b-575b60df3ede"
          }

This is the JSON output of a List All Task functions in regards to assignment, looks like Planner uses the Microsoft Graph API to generate ID's.

So you will need to either authenticate with Oauth and generate the ID or get the output from "List all tasks" figure out which ID is related to which user (very unscalable).

I have only just started today on Planner Flow's so there is likely an easier way, maybe this is enough for someone else to answer the question. I will be spending more time on this tomorrow, if I find something around this I will post back.

If you feel like reading check the Graph API documentation here https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/docs/api-reference/v1.0/api/user_list

Any update on this?  Seems it should be simple to create a Task and assign an owner of it with a Flow but it's not.  If I have the person's email address shouldn't I be able to assign them to a Task in Planner with Flow?

USCAhelp

Ran into the same problem.  Luckily there is Delve!  Just pull up a user's profile in Delve and copy the portion of the url shown below...after ?u= and before &v.  That's what you're looking for as the userid.

2017-06-02_12-55-26.jpg

Director of Client Services
University of South Carolina Aiken

Yup.  Just posted the answer in the thread.  Delve to the rescue...again!

Thank you.  This is very frustrating the feature has been delivered half baked but at least there is a manual workaround for now.  Thank you very much!

Glad we could help!

Hi all - we are tracking an improvement to add support for UPN/email address in the assigned to field. If you could also add the suggestion to our ideas forum for other users to vote that will help with the prioritization - https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Until then the Delve suggestion is a great one, you can also leverage the O365 Users connector which can map a UPN to the ID required in the Planner connector.

Thanks for the reply and I did end up using the Office 365 users connector as someone else recommended this on a blog.  It works great. 

Thanks, good thinking.  Flow should definitely just have a drop down of all organization members.  Or a seacrh utility minimally.

MiddleTommy

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Flow-gt-Planner-Assign-a-task-to-multiple-people-simu...

abrae005 suggests you add the "Get User Profile" action before the "Create a Task" action

Hi all - the Planner connector has been updated to now allow UPN in the "Assigned to" field, as well as the user ID. Hopefully that makes it easier to use, please continue to provide suggested improvements to the connector!

access denied on that link

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Users online (1,348)