cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a power automate flow that won't break if my account is disabled

Hi All!

What I'm trying to achieve seems very simple. I have a sharepoint online list and want to configure an email alert to be sent to either a distribution list or list of security group members. I'm amazed that this doesn't seem to be something configurable direct from Sharepoint but anyway...

Power Automate seems to be the way to go for this. Theres even a template for setting up exactly this. I've got it working which is all good. My problem is that I don't want it tied to my user account. It needs to work if my account gets disabled/deleted. This sort of thing used to be simple in Flow, you could just create it as a team Flow. This doesn't seem possible in Power Automate? You can add someone else an owner but they don't have access to change credentials for flows created by someone else (from what I've read). What's the best practice here?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Scott_Sharland you should have a service account with a password setting (never expires) and this service account should be the owner of the flow, so even if you or any other individual/creator leaves the organization the flow would continue to work as expected. This is a best practice and if possible create the flows from the service account only.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Scott_Sharland you should have a service account with a password setting (never expires) and this service account should be the owner of the flow, so even if you or any other individual/creator leaves the organization the flow would continue to work as expected. This is a best practice and if possible create the flows from the service account only.

View solution in original post

@jinivthakkar thank you for the feedback. This was what I was thinking but couldnt figure out how to make the service account the complete owner of it. What didn't occur to me was just to give permissions to the list to my service account, login as that user and setup the flow from there. All working now!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Power Platform: 2021 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April through September 2021.

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (9,169)