cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
yoshihirok
Level 10

Does "@rand(1,2)" of Windows Definition Language return 1 to 2 with same Probability ?

I want to get a random number between 1 and 2 with same probability.

The rand(1,2) function of Windows Definition Language seems to return 1 only, not return 2.

My flow for "Up and Down"

Now I use rand(1,3) instead of rand(1,2)

1.png

Does rand(1,2) return between 1 and 2 with same probability ? or need rand(1, 3) for return between 1 and 2 ?

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
yoshihirok
Level 10

Re: Does "@rand(1,2)" of Windows Definition Language return 1 to 2 with same Probability ?

Hi @v-monli-msft

My result is that rand() function return first parameter value and 2nd parameter value -1.

In result does not include 2nd parameter.

My test:

@rand(1,10) result send Power BI Service streaming dataset per 1 minutes, 100 times.

and build a report the count of each result value.

1.png2.png

I can know rand function return value of Windows Definition Language.

and I enjoy the cooperate between Microsoft Flow to Power BI Service streaming dataset .

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Does "@rand(1,2)" of Windows Definition Language return 1 to 2 with same Probability ?

Hi Yoshihirok,

rand(1,2) should return 1 and 2. But I think rand(1,2) will only return integer right? My apologize for not quite familiar with Windows Definition Language. 

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
yoshihirok
Level 10

Hi @v-monli-msft, Thank you for your reply

In document

rand: "This is used to generate a random integer within the specified range"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/logic/definition-language

"rand" return integer.

but, there are no-probability description.

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata

yoshihirok
Level 10

Hi @v-monli-msft

30 times result of @rand(1,5) between 1 to 4, no 5.

yoshihirok
Level 10

Hi @v-monli-msft

yoshihirok
Level 10

Hi @v-monli-msft

1.png

yoshihirok
Level 10

Hi @v-monli-msft

1.png

My test is that Add rand(1,5) result to Power BI Service Dataset per 1 minute dualing 30 minutes.

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata 

yoshihirok
Level 10

Hi @v-monli-msft

My result is that rand() function return first parameter value and 2nd parameter value -1.

In result does not include 2nd parameter.

My test:

@rand(1,10) result send Power BI Service streaming dataset per 1 minutes, 100 times.

and build a report the count of each result value.

1.png2.png

I can know rand function return value of Windows Definition Language.

and I enjoy the cooperate between Microsoft Flow to Power BI Service streaming dataset .

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata

View solution in original post

JB89
Level: Power Up

Capture.PNG

Hi yoshihirok 

I am trying to use the rand function in my MS Flow to generate a random unique number id within the Assigned User ID section of the Create a Task Action. The file is read from MS forms and the task is being created as a card in MS Planner. 

MS Flow explains rand as rand(minValue:integer, maxValue: integer), so I have tried the following in my flow:

rand(1:int,10:int)

but it keeps saying invalid expression.

Can you please advice how I can create a random unqiue number id using an expression within Assigned User ID tab for the Create a Task Action?

Many Thanks,

JB 

JB89
Level: Power Up

Hi yoshihirok

I have created a Microsoft Flow that reads a MS Forms request and then creates a task card in MS Planner. For each request that comes in I would like to give it a random unique number so it can be tracked.

In my create a task section, the assigned user id can have an expression provided, which is where I have tried the rand function rand(1:int,10:int) but MS Flow has said that this is not a valid expression.

Can you please help me to write the rand expression correctly, so I can give each created task a random unique number id?

Kind Regards, 

JB

The image below shows the MS Flow requirements for rand and where I am trying to write the expression

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 411 members 5,282 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: