cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yoshihirok
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Does "@rand(1,2)" of Windows Definition Language return 1 to 2 with same Probability ?

I want to get a random number between 1 and 2 with same probability.

The rand(1,2) function of Windows Definition Language seems to return 1 only, not return 2.

My flow for "Up and Down"

Now I use rand(1,3) instead of rand(1,2)

1.png

Does rand(1,2) return between 1 and 2 with same probability ? or need rand(1, 3) for return between 1 and 2 ?

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @v-monli-msft

My result is that rand() function return first parameter value and 2nd parameter value -1.

In result does not include 2nd parameter.

My test:

@rand(1,10) result send Power BI Service streaming dataset per 1 minutes, 100 times.

and build a report the count of each result value.

1.png2.png

I can know rand function return value of Windows Definition Language.

and I enjoy the cooperate between Microsoft Flow to Power BI Service streaming dataset .

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-monli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Yoshihirok,

rand(1,2) should return 1 and 2. But I think rand(1,2) will only return integer right? My apologize for not quite familiar with Windows Definition Language. 

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-monli-msft, Thank you for your reply

In document

rand: "This is used to generate a random integer within the specified range"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/logic/definition-language

"rand" return integer.

but, there are no-probability description.

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata

Hi @v-monli-msft

30 times result of @rand(1,5) between 1 to 4, no 5.

Hi @v-monli-msft

Hi @v-monli-msft

1.png

Hi @v-monli-msft

1.png

My test is that Add rand(1,5) result to Power BI Service Dataset per 1 minute dualing 30 minutes.

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata 

Hi @v-monli-msft

My result is that rand() function return first parameter value and 2nd parameter value -1.

In result does not include 2nd parameter.

My test:

@rand(1,10) result send Power BI Service streaming dataset per 1 minutes, 100 times.

and build a report the count of each result value.

1.png2.png

I can know rand function return value of Windows Definition Language.

and I enjoy the cooperate between Microsoft Flow to Power BI Service streaming dataset .

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata

View solution in original post

Capture.PNG

Hi yoshihirok 

I am trying to use the rand function in my MS Flow to generate a random unique number id within the Assigned User ID section of the Create a Task Action. The file is read from MS forms and the task is being created as a card in MS Planner. 

MS Flow explains rand as rand(minValue:integer, maxValue: integer), so I have tried the following in my flow:

rand(1:int,10:int)

but it keeps saying invalid expression.

Can you please advice how I can create a random unqiue number id using an expression within Assigned User ID tab for the Create a Task Action?

Many Thanks,

JB 

Hi yoshihirok

I have created a Microsoft Flow that reads a MS Forms request and then creates a task card in MS Planner. For each request that comes in I would like to give it a random unique number so it can be tracked.

In my create a task section, the assigned user id can have an expression provided, which is where I have tried the rand function rand(1:int,10:int) but MS Flow has said that this is not a valid expression.

Can you please help me to write the rand expression correctly, so I can give each created task a random unique number id?

Kind Regards, 

JB

The image below shows the MS Flow requirements for rand and where I am trying to write the expression

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (46,769)