cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pcallaghan

Editing Mailbox Permissions Through Flows/PowerApps

Hi all,

I was wondering is it possible to alter mailbox permissions through Flows (or any other PowerApp)?

I work in an IT Department of a sales company. The sales team's procedure for when a team member is off (either sick or annual leave), is for one of the team members to be given read and manage permissions to that absent user's mailbox. This predates my arrival into the company. I've always been uncomfortable with this as a procedure but it is also the cause of over 10% of our helpdesk tickets (and nearly 30% of the sales team's tickets). I have built webforms and stored procedures to significantly reduce their other frequent tickets in the last 12 months but this has always been my greatest bugbear with this team.

I would like to build some sort of flow (or form) that the sales manager could fill out that would enable them to quickly make these changes themselves and record the changes (for auditing purposes).

I cannot find any forum post like this but I am not sure if that is a bad sign of what I am asking for.

I should add, that I have offered the suggestion of a shared mailbox and explained the reasons why this is not an ideal way to operate (with GDPR considerations to meet) but there is no interest from management to change the process so would love to be able to at least give them a very narrow ability to add and remove these permissions and not have to clog up our support desk with tickets.

Any advice or tips would be massively appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jackp514
Frequent Visitor

Personally I would put my foot down and tell them to utilize the functions already built into Outlook: automatic replies and forwarding. Put it back on the user to set this up before they leave. Not leaving you picking up the pieces and making communications happen when someone else calls out.

Other than that, you probably need to look into how to accopmlish this type of automation through POWERSHELL on Power Automate: Run power shell script from Microsoft flow - Power Platform Community

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jackp514
Frequent Visitor

Personally I would put my foot down and tell them to utilize the functions already built into Outlook: automatic replies and forwarding. Put it back on the user to set this up before they leave. Not leaving you picking up the pieces and making communications happen when someone else calls out.

Other than that, you probably need to look into how to accopmlish this type of automation through POWERSHELL on Power Automate: Run power shell script from Microsoft flow - Power Platform Community

I have had the discussion with the sales manager and general manager about why it's not the best way to operate and they insist that this is the way it needs to be done - talking to the wall unfortunately.

I will try the PowerShell script idea as I have amended permissions this way so appreciate the suggestion!

Hi, 

I'm having the exact same issue and was looking in the same direction (Power Apps/Automate or Powershell) for a solution.

Were you able to resolve this? 

When I look further via the URL provided by jackp514, I can't figure out a solution either.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Users online (2,792)