Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eric6
Helper II
Helper II

Editing a flow while it is already running

Hi,

I'm using an automated approval workflow with a succession of multiple approvers. The flow is triggered when a new item is created in a SharePoint List.

I need to make some changes to the flow, but I'm wondering what is going to happen to existing instances of the flow that have already been triggered and are waiting for an approval.

To put the questions more precisely:

• If I change the trigger, will this still impact runs that were previously triggered already and are now running?
  • In case I change an action further down in the flow, will this change still impact the existing runs once they reach that point
  • For example, for a "Send an email" action, will the latest version of this email be used, in line with the current saved version, or the version that was active when the flow was triggered?

Thanks for your support. Depending on the answers to these questions I can plan my intervention.

Best regards,

Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rahber
Super User II
Super User II

Once the flow has triggered it will run with the same configurations and actions that it ran with.

Even if if a flow is running and you change anything it will continue to run with the old actions that it had at time of running.

Please click Accept as Solution if it resolved your problem or give it a Thumbs Up if it helped you in anyway this will allow other people to search correct solutions effectively.

Thanks,
Rahber

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Rahber
Super User II
Super User II

Once the flow has triggered it will run with the same configurations and actions that it ran with.

Even if if a flow is running and you change anything it will continue to run with the old actions that it had at time of running.

Please click Accept as Solution if it resolved your problem or give it a Thumbs Up if it helped you in anyway this will allow other people to search correct solutions effectively.

Thanks,
Rahber

View solution in original post

Ok. Thanks a lot for the swift reply. I'll go ahead and make the changes then.

Eric

Rdiaz
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello I was wondering if I were to change or update some fields on Microsoft share point list (that have questions in the fields, and update them), even when it’s a connector to power automate with a flow already. Will making changes to the share point list effect the flow? Or power automation? Such as the triggers etc. will they be effected? Or remain the same? (FYI, I changed them back to how they were originally just in case so I don’t mess up the power automation with it but I didn’t use any version control to go back, only edited it manually).  

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,663)