cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Email flows from a Sharepoint list - ANY update generates an email... how do I control this?

This is probably so basic - but I have created a email flow for a sharepoint list. As the status changes on the list items, a new email is generated to the submitter on the change in status, what should happen next etc. However, if I update other fields in the list (like changing the priority) the flow sends out an email advising the item has been assigned to an analyst to review (which is one of the emails I have). I just dont want to send an email out for every update ... only the status changes. I am guessing that I need another condition - or an If No statement,  but it is not clear what that condition should be. 

Here is a snap on the condition for the change in status to Assigned:flow.JPG

Any help is appreciated!!

Jennifer

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Email flows from a Sharepoint list - ANY update generates an email... how do I control this?

Hi @ jlbaker,

Do you want to check if the modified column is "Status of Request" column when an item is modified in your sharepoint list?

Could you please share a screenshot of the configuration of your sharepoint list?

Could you please share more details of the "Staus of Request" column in your sharepoint list?

The trigger "when a specific column is modified" is not supported in microsoft flow currently,

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

As an alternative way, you could add a "Status is modified" column in your sharepoint list to record if the "Status of Request" column is modified when an item is modified in your sharepoint list.

I have made a test on my side, and I have create a sharepoint list as below:

Capture.PNG

The configuration of the "Status of Request" column as below:

Capture.PNG

The configuration of the "Status is modified" column as below:

Capture.PNG

Note:

When someone have modify the "Status of Request" column, he must set the "Status is modified" column to Yes at the same time.

And if someone modify the item, the "Status of Request" column is not modified, he must set the "Status is modified" column to No at the same time.

You could refer to screenshot below to create the flow:

Capture.PNG

The expression in the Condition as below:

@and(endswith(triggerBody()?['Status_x0020_of_x0020_Request']?['Value'], 'Assigned'),
equals(triggerBody()?['Status_x0020_is_x0020_modified'], true))

When the "Status of Request" column is modified, and the "Status of Request" column is endwith Assigned, and the"Status is modified" column is set to Yes, the flow would run successfully to send the email as below:

Capture.PNG

Regards,
Alice Zhang

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Email flows from a Sharepoint list - ANY update generates an email... how do I control this?

Hi Alice - thank you for responding.

I did get a bit lost. But I prefer not to have to add another column to my list.

I cant seem to figure out how to add a snapshot of this to this reply (but was able to above!!) so I am just sharing in text

The sharepoint list has the following columns:

1. Name of Request Freeform text - required
  2. Status of Request  Choice - Defaults to Submitted, other options are 1- Assigned, 2 - Request for Clarification, 3- Scheduled, 4 - Completed, 5 - Deleted, 6 - Deferred -required field
  3. Submitter Name - select from our directory - required field
  4. Create Date   system assigned
  5. Type of Request     Choice... You probably dont care! - required field
  6. Date when needed   required field (date selector)
  7. Analyst assigned Select from our directory - but is left blank when original request is submitted
  8. Comments - Text box for free form comments
  9. Attachments - They can optionally add an attachmnt to the request.

I have roughly 6 different flows.

How my flow currently works - is when a new submission is made, an email is generated to the submitter and the administrator of list and CC me.

Then when the administrator needs more information, I have a new flow that sends and email when the state ends at "2 - Request for clarification"

I have another flow that sends an email when the status ends at 1- Analyst Assigned (iregardles if an analyst name is populated)

Another flow / email when status ends at 3 -Scheduled

I have another flow that sends an email when the status ends at 4- Completed

also one for 5 - Deleted and one for 6- Deferred.

What seems to happen is that the status is sitting at 3 - Analyst Assgned, and maybe an update is made to something else, like the Date Request is needed. Well, i think because that flow shows that a modification was made, then it generates another email saying that the request has been assigned (which they had already received previously).

I have several flows... should I be putting this all in one flow? But still, I think it would still generate a message in that last example above if any other data was changed... (except for status).

Is there a way to have a flow operate to NOT send an email unless the Status has been modified?

Else if I add a column for 'Is status modified' - how would i do that (i dont want to add a visible column in the list) so that it is a system updated column... i just prefer not  to add another column to the options...

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

First, here is how you can set a column in SharePoint to be hidden:

1) Go to the list settings

2) Go to Advanced Settings

3) Set "Allow management of content types" to Yes and click on OK

4) Click on the content type (you'll see this right above where all the columns are listed)

5) Click on the column name that you want hidden 

6) Select the "Hidden" option and click on OK

As mentioned by @v-yuazh-msft there is no built-in way to see if a specific column has been changed.

My technique is similar to what has already been suggested but might be a little less complicated:

1) Create a hidden column of the same type as the column that you are monitoring for change 

2) When an item is created, use the SharePoint Update Item action to set the value of your hidden column to the value of the column that you are monitoring for change

3) When the item is updated, use a condition to see if the column values match

4) If the column values do not match, take appropriate action (send email, etc.) and then set the value of the hidden column to the value of the monitored column

There is no reason why you can't have separate Flows if only one of them would be updating the item at a time.  However, my preference would be to fold them all into one to make it easier to see what happens when an item is changed all in one place.

The screen shots below should provide additional clarification.

Option1.pngOption2.pngOption3.pngOption4.pngOption5.pngOption6.pngOption7.pngOption8.pngOption9.png

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Helpful resources

Announcements
Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

FirstImage

Microsoft Ignite 2020

Check out the announcement of Power Platform content at Microsoft Ignite!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Users online (12,389)