cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mnmsymmons
Level: Powered On

Email with options - what happens if no response?

Hi,

Couldn't seem to find an article on this. I'm currently testing sending out an email with options "Confirm" or "Reject". If no response is received I can see the flow just stays in "Running" state until it receives a response.

Raises a few questions for me:

1. How long does it wait?
  2. If it hits this limit, will it fail the flow or will it continue to the next action?
  3. If it continues does it fail that action or does it merely continue? (I have a switch for the response and wondered if it will go to the default or whether you need to add a "Configure run after" and then choose "Failed" or "Timed Out"
  4. Is it possible to configure the wait time and then trigger another action? (for example, if no response within set time frame, send another email)

Thanks in advance (sorry, I'm not patient enough to wait and see!)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Email with options - what happens if no response?

Hi @mnmsymmons,

About your questions:

1.It will wait for 30 days. As the run duration of a flow is 30 days, including workflows with pending steps like approvals.

Please check the following doc on limitations:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/limits-and-config 

2.Once it hits the limit, the flow will fail and won’t continue to the next action.

3.You could configure a run after then choose Failed or Timed out for the next action.

4.Yes, it is possible to configure the wait time. You could go to the ellipsis menu and select the Settings options. Inside settings, enter an ISO timespan that represents how long that operation should last.

The timeout duration could be set as P1D, you could also try to convert day IOS format into hour IOS format by setting the duration as PT24H.

Please check the following screenshots.

1.PNG2.PNG

More details about hot wo Configure timeouts for long running operations

, please check this blog at here:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/language-settings-3-connectors/ 

Best regards,

Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mnmsymmons

some more detail on this to clarify:

After "Send email with options" the response is recorded as the dynamic content "SelectedOption"

The next action is a Switch based on "SelectedOption"

It's been over 24hrs and the test flows with emails that have not had an option selected are still running and it hasn't moved on from the "Send email with options" action yet.

I've attached a screenshot of the setting for "Send email with options", is the Timeout Duration setting the answer to this? If so how do I format this setting and presumably it would result in a "TimeOut" for the run after setting of the next action?

Capture.PNG

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @mnmsymmons,

About your questions:

1.It will wait for 30 days. As the run duration of a flow is 30 days, including workflows with pending steps like approvals.

Please check the following doc on limitations:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/limits-and-config 

2.Once it hits the limit, the flow will fail and won’t continue to the next action.

3.You could configure a run after then choose Failed or Timed out for the next action.

4.Yes, it is possible to configure the wait time. You could go to the ellipsis menu and select the Settings options. Inside settings, enter an ISO timespan that represents how long that operation should last.

The timeout duration could be set as P1D, you could also try to convert day IOS format into hour IOS format by setting the duration as PT24H.

Please check the following screenshots.

1.PNG2.PNG

More details about hot wo Configure timeouts for long running operations

, please check this blog at here:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/language-settings-3-connectors/ 

Best regards,

Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

mnmsymmons

Thanks @v-yamao-msft, you answered all of my questions concisely. I will setup a duration and a notification email to go out based on a "run after timeout"

Dorul
Level 8

edit: started another thread, this one having solution already

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,615)