cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Error responding to Flow Approval in Outlook

Yeah, I think this makes it clear that Microsoft is using the Windows 10 deployment model where their customers become their guinea pigs, and that is very not good.  

That being said, after the fiasco this issue caused last time, I simply started training my people to use the Flow App or web portal to handle their approvals.  Yes, it'd be nice if things worked the way Microsoft touts them to work, because handling the approvals through the Outlook notification is great, but rather than sitting and waiting, it was nice that this time around, no body panicked because they knew to just use Flow and I was able to have my users still productive when Microsoft shoots themselves in the foot like this.

A little clarity from Microsoft on how these issues need to be handled would be nice too.  Clearly they don't see posting in this community as a proper method of reporting an issue, but there really isn't a clear path on how to report this.  Is the problem with Flow?  Is the problem with Outlook?  Is it our responsibility to know that distinction?   If you go to the Flow web portal, click the ? icon and click Support, they do have a giant banner at the top of the screen identifying this problem, but considering things worked fine in Flow, but not in Outlook, I don't think going to Flow's support page would have been the first place I'd have checked.  They should really make it easier to report a problem than leaving the burden on the users to know which product's Support tree they need to navigate. 

edbellman
Level: Powered On

Approvals and Rejections are both working for me now via the Outlook client.

LukeC

I have some users still getting the error even with the latest build. It does work for me again personally, this morning, however.

Investigating and will report back once/if I can root cause the users who are still encountering the issue.

Mithlogie
Level: Power Up

Now working as of 20 minutes ago for me and my team.

Highlighted
tapan_sam

I am also facing same issue. In my case, the Office version is: 1808(Build 10730.20334).

@AngryBatVoice wrote:

Hello,

I have an Approval Flow with an issue.  When the approver receives the email notification of the Approval Request, when they try to approve the request from within the email in Outlook or Outlook Mobile on iOS, they get a message that says "An error occurred. Try again later."  This is on a Flow that has been working flawlessly prior to this week.

If they go into Flow and approve the request there, it works.  The error message doesn't really give much to go on, and there are no errors logged on the Flow side of things.  Does anyone have any ideas on where to start with this?

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

@tapan_sam wrote:

I am also facing same issue. In my case, the Office version is: 1808(Build 10730.20334).

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Microsoft seems bound and determined to continually break the approvals from Outlook.  My only suggestion to avoid continually battling this is to train your users to utilize the Flow web site on desktop, and the Flow app on mobile and process approvals from there.

srodriguez

I just created a basic approval process for a list when new items are added, and the Approval is working in Outlook and OWA.

Check the history of the execution and try to execute a test using the values of the last instance it failed and try to reproduce the issue, also test using different values on a different item.

Last week this very same issue was occurring to many people; including myself, where previously working workflows start having issues to get approved using these clients, however, right now seems to be working for my old WFs and even new one I configured. Not sure if this is Microsoft just taunting us deliberately in order to QA their products or is just bad CI/CD practices.

Also, I agree with  @AngryBatVoice and others on their workarround training users to use the Flow Center to approve their WFs.

jobiewan

As of 12/3/19, this is still an issue. The hyperlink in the Flow approval email apparently does not work for anyone but me, the creator of the flow, in the Outlook desktop client. If our engineers have to go out of their way to use the web app to do approvals, they simply won't bother to use the workflow at all. This is really a usability nightmare for us, and I'm inclined to give up on Flow altogether.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (7,103)