cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Excel update row not working?

Hello,

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I want a Flow that will create a new row on an Excel table, and then later in the flow update the same row with new information. However, I keep the same error no matter what I do:

" "status": 423,
"message": "Cannot write file to filesource. File is being locked."

Any idea's what I'm doing wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Excel update row not working?

Hi @ jasa88,

Could you please share a screenshot of the configuration of your flow?

Which action have run failed in your flow?

The error message told that the file is being locked and cannot write file to it.

Please check if the excel file is opening when the flow runs.

I have made a test on my side, and don’t have the issue that you mentioned, the configuration of my flow as below:

1.png

The flow would run successfully as below:

2.png

Regards,
Alice Zhang

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hello,

I tried building a flow exactly the same as yours but it still doesn't work. I even tried inserting a delay between inserting and updating the row and still nothing.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aplp25XkM3valwKqEdMddzWxlJwq

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aplp25XkM3valwE-Wi_bTgLW-m61

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hello again,

I've figured that the problem is the spreadsheet is locking me out if I try and run a flow after editing the spreadsheet, even after closing the browser window on the spreadsheet so I'm no longer editing it. It appears to take some time for the spreadsheet to relinquish control back to me and is locking out any further requests.

I've set the insert row to retry every 10 minutes if it doesn't succeed, but apparently that doesn't operate with a status 423 error message. Is there any way around this to keep the flow trying to insert/update the row rather than failing?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi All,

I don't know if that is the solution, but at least I had that problem "423". At first I had the file only "on-line" in SharePoint and also I tried on OneDrive. But those folders wasn't sync with my PC. 

I tried in one SharePoint Folder sync with my computer and the same Flow works, then I sync the folder where it was the original file and works too.

Hope help you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (7,698)