Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG\

How can I get the query to run?

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Execute a SQL Query

Hi @RussellGove,

The 502 Bad Gateway error is caused when a network error between servers on the internet. The failure is temporary or transient, please try to resubmit to try the flow again.

Besides, clear your browser’s cache and delete your browser’s cookies would always work.

Please also try to run the browser in a safe mode to see if it will work.

If you are still having the issue, please feel free post back.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
RussellGove
Level 10

Re: Execute a SQL Query with formal parameters

Hi,

I dont think its a network issue. If I get rid of the formalParemter and use straight SQL it works fine. At the bottom of the post you  can see the error 'must decalare parameter giftyear;' . 

This question is really about how to use formal parameters in a SQL Query

Highlighted
ColonelJustice
Level: Power Up

Re: Execute a SQL Query with formal parameters

Hi, you have to declare the formalparameter as variable within the SQL query. So: DECLARE @userid VARCHAR(10); (or whatever value type) SELECT FROM a WHERE userid = @userid This way the parameters can be passed onto the query with the corresponding variable name. Best regards
Administrator
Administrator

Hey, @RussellGove!

Thank you for posting on the Flow Community Forum! Have you had an opportunity to apply any of these recommendations to adapt your Flow? If yes, and you find that solution to be satisfactory, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel
Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Power Automate Community Manager
Are YOU a member of your local Power Automate User Group?
Fill out This Form to claim your Community User Group Member Badge!
stjef

I can confirm that if you have the DECLARE section for each variable in 'formalParameters' then the query works as expected.

It'd be good if it was made apparent in the UI or in the error message that this DECLARE is required, as I assumed formal parameters were simply broken until I read this post.

It's not easy to find the documentation for Execute a SQL Query either - maybe this does mention this requirement. Could you point us to it?

EDIT: Actually it is not working. There is no error given but the SQL doesn't actually produce the result I'm expecting.

Is there any documentation for formalParameters? I'm very much at a loss as how to use the feature at all.

ColonelJustice

Hi stjef,

can you elaborate on what exactly is not working? Is the SQL query returning unexpected results, no results at all or do you have issues accessing / processing the resultset later in PowerApps etc. ?

Thanks and best regards

Florian

SethC

I can also confirm that adding the variable declaration fixed the syntax issue and allowed the step to process succcessfully.  However, I also got unexpected results in that the dataset came back empty (and should have returned 1 row based on the parameter)

Turing on auditing on my SQL instance showed 2 interesting events:

•  One BATCH COMPLETED event that contained the DECLARE & SELECT statements, but with no value for the supplied parameter.  When executed in SSMS, this query returned no rows
  •  One RPC COMPLETED event where the entire query was wrapped in an "exec sp_executesql" command.  When executed in SSMS, this returned an error that the variable had already been declared. 

I agree that this function is poorly documented, which makes it difficult to understand if we're even using it correctly.  In fact, the current specification here (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/sql/#execute-a-sql-query-(v2)) doesn't even mention formalParameters as a valid parameter. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,104)