Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
shaneOZ
Level 8

FLow to look at CEILING Calc and create sharepoint if the number approaches

Hi Guys,

This ones doing my head in and id love some help, this company has asked me to build them a maintenance system (kinda like a fleet management system) and to be alerted when an item is created in sharepoint (I can do that),

What i cant do is figure out how to make a flow that looks at a calculated column (Its a  CEILING calculation, that looks at another column where km/s are put into via powerapps) in one SharePoint List (A Register of all machinery) and creates a list item in another list called Work Orders, i.e Its due for service.

So to sum that up, my question is.

How do i make a flow that creates a list item when a calculated column using the CEILING functions number comes close to the changing 

i.e if the number is 19950 and the function is =(CEILING[Column], "10000") or whatever a new list is created because its 50 below that number

Can anyone help,

This is crucial to finishing this job off,

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: FLow to look at CEILING Calc and create sharepoint if the number approaches

Hi @shaneOZ 

Calculated columns in SharePoint are calulcated at run time and only available in the context of the SP list/library

Flow or any other service will not be able to read that value

You would have to create a Flow that runs on a schedule, reads all items from your base list, then filters the items based on the calculation logic (calculation logic will have to be done within the Flow) and then if the criteria matches then create items in the new SP list

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

shaneOZ
Level 8

@RezaDorrani wrote:

Hi @shaneOZ 

Calculated columns in SharePoint are calulcated at run time and only available in the context of the SP list/library

Flow or any other service will not be able to read that value

You would have to create a Flow that runs on a schedule, reads all items from your base list, then filters the items based on the calculation logic (calculation logic will have to be done within the Flow) and then if the criteria matches then create items in the new SP list

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Firstly thankyou for your reply.

My flow is a little green still, could you show me what i would need to do to successfully achieve my problem then?

Can i make flow do a Ceiling Calculation on a number column? 

Engineershane
Level: Powered On

(On my mobile)

Ok,

After playing around with a troublesome flow doing this job and a great explanation and a outline flow from one of the people here, i have a bit more of a clue now.

So this is my thinking on the matter. I make a if created or modified trigger and have a odata with a ceiling command in there and then add a condition with create or update if not an empty / ID match.

Its the Odata, queries and compose type issues that are currently troubling me after a year of using the system for employment. I wish there was a humongous list of examples of all the options of every function. Kinda like the wiki (which is slowly starting to make more sense) but for an out of the box experience it needs many more, various example projects with brief reasons to their problem and to why they did it this way.

What would i do? Would it be use a expression formula with a number column? Could you give me a similar expression?

And fwiw, this is 3rd hand from reading thread after thread in the last few days panicking over an issue that was crucial (This CEILING issue is for a personal project) anyway as you said you cannot use calculated columns, however ive read her by a few other saying this isnt strictly true, two examples i was reading was about using a convert with compose and string arrays? Is this just bs?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,697)