Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
eka Helper II
Helper II

FORMAT DATE USING COMPOSE

Please i am getting this error in an attempt to format a sql date; 

formatDateTime(triggerBody()?['Date'],'dd-mmm-yyyy')

this is the error;

InvalidTemplate. Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Compose_2' inputs at line '1' and column '2192': 'The template language function 'formatDateTime' expects its first parameter to be of type string. The provided value is of type 'Null'. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions#formatdatetime for usage details.'.

attached is my flow

11 REPLIES 11
Super User
Super User

Re: FORMAT DATE USING COMPOSE

inspect your trigger, is date null it sounds like it is?

is this a document with metadata? add a delay of 1 minute and then do a get file properties using the id from the trigger.

eka Helper II
Helper II

The date column is not null.

FLOW DATE.JPG

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Can you provide a screenshot of the output of your compose action?  Something about the way the date is formatted as input is wrong.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
eka Helper II
Helper II

Capture5.JPG

AKRogers Helper V
Helper V

Looks like there are 3 m’s there in your expression; I think you’re looking for ‘dd-MM-yyyy’ instead.
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @eka ,

What is the data source for PowerApps connections?

As far as I know, if you use the PowerApps button as a trigger, the Dynamic content output by the trigger is automatically generated based on the corresponding action.

110.PNG

So expressions such as triggerBody()?['Date'] are not able to get the specified field value.

Please refer to this online doc for more details on PowerApps integration with MS Flow:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/using-logic-flows

Then use the correct expression to get the value of the Date column and convert it using the formatDateTime() function.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
eka Helper II
Helper II

I am using Azure Sql as data source as shown in the picture i posted

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @eka ,

If PowerApps does the job of adding a new line, then I recommend that you use When an item is created (V2) as the trigger instead of the PowerApps button.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
eka Helper II
Helper II

I tried formatDateTime(triggerBody()?['Date'],'dd-MM-yyyy') but still get the error attached;

Capture9.JPG

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @eka ,

Maybe you could try to use When an item is created (V2) as the trigger instead of the PowerApps button.

Best Regards,

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I think your problem is that you are accessing the wrong date field.  triggerBody()?['Date'] would be a parameter coming in from Power Apps  I think what you want is the following:

formatDateTime(body('Get_row_(V2)')?['Date']),'dd-mmm-yyyy')

You are trying to format a parameter coming in from the trigger, not a date field in the SQL row.  I suspect that is why its telling you its null 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Did you attend MBAS? Claim your badge

Attending MBAS? Claim your badge

Whether you’ve streamed the digital event live, or you're watching on-demand, claim your attendee badge to sport on your profile.

MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Automate Community!

firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Users online (5,413)