cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sboxenbaum
Regular Visitor

Failed to open Excel document (File related error)

documentPathSafe: Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Desktop.Modules.SDK.ActionException: Failed to open Excel document 'C:\Users\...' (File related error). ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: documentPathSafe
at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Desktop.Modules.Excel.Actions.ExcelActions.<>c__DisplayClass10_0.<LaunchExcel>g__SetActiveWorkbook|1()
at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Desktop.Modules.Excel.Actions.ExcelActions.LaunchExcel(Variant documentPath, Variant varPassword, Variant& excelInstance, Int32 launchMode, Boolean visible, Boolean loadAddInsAndMacros, Boolean needsAuthentication, Boolean readOnly, Boolean launchInNewInstance)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Desktop.Modules.Excel.Actions.LaunchExcel.Execute(ActionContext context)
at Microsoft.Flow.RPA.Desktop.Robin.Engine.Execution.ActionRunner.Run(IActionStatement statement, Dictionary`2 inputArguments, Dictionary`2 outputArguments)

PAD fails to open the downloaded Excel file. The file exists and is able to opened manually via File Explorer. This issue has only occurred after the most recent PAD update. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both PAD and Excel, but the error still persists. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sboxenbaum
Regular Visitor

Hello all,

I found the solution to my problem. When calling the variable %DownloadedFile%, the filename extension (.xlsx, .csv, etc.) must be included. 

sboxenbaum_0-1660573020340.png

Prior to the update, the filename extension was not required when opening the Excel file.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
rosssmith123

Try this methods to fix File related error-

Reset the file associations of Excel.
Disable the Hardware Graphics Acceleration.
If the box to ignore DDE has been checked, disable it.
Conduct a repair for Office.
Disable your add-ins.

Greeting,

Ross Smith

Usmikeyl48

I have run into this issue as well, we updated PAD during the last week and now I am unable to call any excel file that was called using a wildcard. PAD is still able to call specific files, but not any using the wildcard pathway. 

Mostly commenting so that when this get's solved I'll know.

sboxenbaum
Regular Visitor

Hello all,

I found the solution to my problem. When calling the variable %DownloadedFile%, the filename extension (.xlsx, .csv, etc.) must be included. 

sboxenbaum_0-1660573020340.png

Prior to the update, the filename extension was not required when opening the Excel file.

See the solution I posted. I hope this helps.

Unfortunately I'm still getting the (File Related Error) even with the .csv finish on the file I wished to open. 

I am glad you were able to get your thing fixed! I've created a lengthy work-around in the meantime.

Thank you very much !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Users online (3,407)