Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Axal
Level: Powered On

File input in Manual Trigger

Hi guys,

During creating Approval Flow, in the 1st step of Manual Trigger I have put an input type : File. This is supposed to ask for file and then ask for approval.

image.png

Question is, what happened with the file ? is it will be attached in the approval email ? automatic ? should we put somewhere in the email ?

The "variable" which declared in 1st step ("New file") is listed in Dynamics Content, so currently I choose that in put in Item link of the email message. Before that, I put in Detail's body. But both resulted my Flow failed. 

image.png

The error is something like this :

image.png

There is no further explanation of the error. 

Basically, the idea is, the file should be included in the email whilst asking for approval.

Thanks,

Axal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: File input in Manual Trigger

Hi @Axal ,

Every action or trigger in Flow will have a different JSON response.

So how do we reference the attribute values contained in these responses?

In most cases, we can use Dynamic content directly, but sometimes Dynamic content does not contain these attribute values. So we need to use the expression to get, in fact, Dynamic content is encapsulated in advance, they are essentially expression.

Regarding the properties of the action output, we generally use body('actionName')['Propertyname'] to get it.

The contents of the trigger output, we need to use the triggerBody () ['propertyName'] to get.

For your problem, because file is actually an object in the triggerBody, name and contentBytes are the properties contained in this object, so you need to use the expression I provided before to get them separately.

This artice will help you:

https://www.o365dude.com/2017/10/15/new-flow-button-inputs-available/

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hey @Axal 

Currently attachments are not supported in approvals. (It is being rolled out with the new feature to add attachments and in some regions it is available and in some it yet to come). 

In the meanwhile, if the requirement for you is to add the file too, here is what you can do. 

1. Create a file with that file content in sharepoint and then add that link to the item link attribute in the approval action. 

2. Use the send email with options action from outlook and then directly add the file as attachment to the email there. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Axal

Hi ,

Noted that, I will try your suggestion then. However just curious, so in Dynamics Content, what is the "variable" meant for ? I mean where and how can I make use of it ? This "variable" I refer to is, during Add input (1st step) I put the name of the input text box, and it appeared in Dynamics Content. It always gave me error Flow and failed each time I'm using it.

Thanks again,

Axal

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Axal ,

You could do like this:

94.PNG

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Axal

Hi bacao,

It works. Although not quite understand what's the "triggerbody" use for? what is ['file'] ? and what is ['name']

Either way, thank you very much for your advice.

regards,

Axal

Axal

Hi bacao,

If it is not too much to ask, I also would to know 2 things:

1. In the "Send email with options" there is an option :

image.png

I found out, if I put "No", in my Outlook email, will display 2 email body, one 1 the "no HTML" sytle, one with HTML (this is quite confusing for someone). And if I put "Yes" then it will be HTML style only. Well, I more like to have "no HTML" only instead, can this be done ? and what is in the Custom value options ?

2. The "Send email with options", what if the person wants to put some comment during approve? If using action "Start and wait for approval" there is response from the approver which in the end we can put in the response email.

Thanks in advance,

Axal

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Axal ,

This seems to be in line with the features currently designed by different versions of the outlook client. Not all clients support rich html display functionality, so with this design, we have no way to change it at the moment, and it only has two options. Although there is an option to set the custom value, it is actually invalid.

In addition, regarding "put some comment during approve", this is also a current limitation. Although Start and wait for approval can add comments, it is not possible to add attachments. Send an email with option can add attachments, but cannot add comments. I believe that these features will be improved and deployed to all regions in the future. Currently, my tenants can already add attachments in the Start and wait for approval action, but other tenants still seem to be unusable. Stay tuned.

Best Regards,

Axal

Hi,

Thanks for this clarification. So the last thing is only the "Triggerbody" thing (in my previously replied). 😅

I have no idea what is that mean and for ?

Thanks again.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Axal ,

Every action or trigger in Flow will have a different JSON response.

So how do we reference the attribute values contained in these responses?

In most cases, we can use Dynamic content directly, but sometimes Dynamic content does not contain these attribute values. So we need to use the expression to get, in fact, Dynamic content is encapsulated in advance, they are essentially expression.

Regarding the properties of the action output, we generally use body('actionName')['Propertyname'] to get it.

The contents of the trigger output, we need to use the triggerBody () ['propertyName'] to get.

For your problem, because file is actually an object in the triggerBody, name and contentBytes are the properties contained in this object, so you need to use the expression I provided before to get them separately.

This artice will help you:

https://www.o365dude.com/2017/10/15/new-flow-button-inputs-available/

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,683)