cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LuigiDiFilippo
Level: Powered On

File name extension not available

I have managed to get most of a test flow running. The intent is that whenever a new document is placed into a sharepoint library an approval request will automatically go to the individual's manager. If approved the document will be moved to another library.

I tried using some of the existing templates but didn't manage to find one that did it in the way I was expecting, so I built one. Everything works except that when the file is created in the second library the extension is not added. All I get is the file's name without the extension. I have used the properties only when file is created trigger and the get file content action.

Luigi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
wnzn
Level 8

Re: File name extension not available

If you want to get the filename with extension, you can use Get File Metadata instead of Get File Properties. You can then use the output "Name". This works, but I find the whole experience needlessly complicated. Properties ought to be the same as Metadata, no?

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Are you using "get file properties"? If so, this thread explains how this could be done several months ago. I haven't tested it myself, so unsure if this method is still valid.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/On-file-properties-modified-move-file-from-one-sh...

Hope this helps

If anyone is trying to help you with an issue, the fastest way to say thanks is by kudoing. Be grateful, Thumbs up!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

LuigiDiFilippo

The solution they have identified does seem to work but is convoluted and overly complicated. There has to be a easier way to apply the file name, including the extension. If you use the trigger when file is created when file created in folder instead of p[roperties only then you get a file name with extension, but you don't get the ability to get the file creator's user info. I need the file creator's info.

Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi LuigiDiFilippo,

When testing with your scenario, I got the same issue with you. Using the trigger “When a file is created(properties only)”, the file created in second library doesn’t have the extension. I will help confirm this issue on my side and back to you later.

In your second post you said that you want to get the file creator’s user info. Do you have a column that will be used to save the creator in the second library?

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
LuigiDiFilippo

The user info is in relation to the new file that is being placed into the sharepoint library. I then use that info to determine who the person's manager is iniorder to forward the approval correctly. If I were to use the other sharepoint trigger when a file is created, instead of the get properties only, it does not provide the creator user info. Although if I were to use the when file created trigger, the file name does include the extension.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or an intended feature.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi LuigiDiFilippo,

I have some updates for you.

Please add another action “SharePoint – Get file properties” before the action “Create file”. In the “Create file” action, select the dynamic content “File name” from the action “Get file properties” for the File Name field.

Please take the following screenshot for a reference.

I have tested it on my side, the file created in the second library has its extension and can be opened without issue.

3.PNG

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
LuigiDiFilippo

Mabel,

Thanks for your help.

I did as you indicated but I don't see the FIleName dynamic atribute the only ones I have that carry any file naming info are: Identified and Name. What am I missing?

charafRef
Level 8

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @LuigiDiFilippo,

Could you show me a screenshot on it?

When configuring the action “Create file”, I can select the dynamic content “FileName” from the action “Get file properties”. Please check the following picture.

3.PNG

Please check it again on your side.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

LuigiDiFilippo

Here is the screen capture.

Screen Capture.png

charafRef
Level 8

Hi @v-yamao-msft , i have the same attributs without FileName like his screenshoot. I guest your filename it's our name attribut , but the issue still remains.

fll.JPG

wnzn
Level 8

If you want to get the filename with extension, you can use Get File Metadata instead of Get File Properties. You can then use the output "Name". This works, but I find the whole experience needlessly complicated. Properties ought to be the same as Metadata, no?

View solution in original post

charafRef
Level 8

On my case , the condition doesn't match together with the file metada ! 

Up ..

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,113)