cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chanakya
Level: Powered On

Flow Connections error due to Credential Expiration

Hello All,

We are having an issue with credentials expiring in Microsoft Flow Connections.

The connections seem to expire every 2 weeks disrupting the Flow associated with it.

The flows in question are set to run daily and work as expected, but break down after 14 days due to authentication issues
and users are required to reenter their credentials.

Error Message:
"Invalid JWT Token. The token is expired."

Is there a way to ensure that the flow connections do not break ?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Power Automate Staff TravisB
Power Automate Staff

Re: Flow Connections error due to Credential Expiration

Wanted to post the conclusion of this thread in case anyone happens to run into the same issue.

It looks like this tenant had instituted an MFA expiration policy of 14 days that is preventing us from refreshing their users' connections. This may be opted into by default when instituting MFA for your tenant - so that's something to consider.

For more information about these expiration rules, documentation can be found here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-configurable-token-lifetime...

Best,

Travis

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Power Automate Staff

Hi @chanakya,

Can you please post the url of the flow edit page for the particular flow you're having issue with?

Also what is the service associated with the expiring connection (outlook, facebook, etc)?

Thanks,

Travis

Highlighted
chanakya

Hi Travis,

Thanks for reaching out.

The connections are using following services:

"SharePoint" and "Office 365 Outlook"

Power Automate Staff

Hi @chanakya,

This is strange. Those are both Microsoft services so we should be able to refresh these connections indefinitely for you.

Can you please post the url of the edit flow page for the affected flow? This will let me identify the logs for your specific connection.

Thanks,

Travis

chanakya

Hi Travis,

Here are a couple of urls:

https://flow.microsoft.com/manage/environments/Default-5c95da56-0d5c-4dbc-b531-065cebf5abcc/flows/sh...

https://flow.microsoft.com/manage/environments/Default-5c95da56-0d5c-4dbc-b531-065cebf5abcc/flows/sh...

Also, we have MFA enabled in our environment.

Let me know if any more information is needed.

Thank You.

Power Automate Staff

Hi @chanakya,

We dug into the logs and can see that we are failing to refresh your connections with an error having to do with MFA.

This is unusual since if you created the connection while signed in with MFA, we should be able to refresh the connection indefinitely.

The running theory is that your admins may have done something in the background that is affecting the refresh requirements so our attempts to refresh fail.

I'm going to private message you an email alias. If you can get your tenant admin to write to that alias, we can go through with them to try and figure out what they're doing that's affecting your connections.

Best,

Travis

Power Automate Staff

Wanted to post the conclusion of this thread in case anyone happens to run into the same issue.

It looks like this tenant had instituted an MFA expiration policy of 14 days that is preventing us from refreshing their users' connections. This may be opted into by default when instituting MFA for your tenant - so that's something to consider.

For more information about these expiration rules, documentation can be found here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-configurable-token-lifetime...

Best,

Travis

View solution in original post

PrateekGhate
Level: Power Up

Hi TravisB,

I am facing a similar issue. I have a custom-solution built using Microsoft SharePoint Lists and Microsoft Flow.

When an item is created on List A, I have designed a Flow to create an item on List B. 

The flows worked smoothly until yesterday which was when MFA was enabled by our admins for logging in to O365.

After reading this thread,  I refreshed my connections (SharePoint) in Microsoft Flow which has now triggered the flows again.

Now, I am not sure if they will keep running indefinitely or will need a connection refresh regularly for them to keep running?

Is there any way to know this? Can this be avoided/resolved?

Power Automate Staff

Hi @PrateekGhate,

Referencing the documentation above, it looks like the default setting for MFA refresh tokens is to be renewed indefinitely.

So unless your tenant has specifically decided otherwise, there shouldn't be any issues out of the box.

If your tenant has configured a shorter lifetime, the documentation above also outlines methods for specifiying a policy specifically for Flow that supercedes the default setting.

Thanks,

Travis

NieGreJoh

Hi 

Have any of you tried to "whitelist" the endpoint of flow??

Check https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/multi-factor-authentication/multi-factor-authentication-whats...

Check also my recording of how to  https://blog.hexatown.com/trusting-my-own-ip-range-bdcca10b9f37

DougL

The default most definitely is not "renew indefinitely". We're running into the same exact issue with MFA, and we never tampered with any of the default values.

There really should be a way to use a stored app password with this rather than a refresh token. That's the standard way to handle MFA from service accounts.

Poidah
Level: Power Up

Agreed. There should be a way of enabling MFA without killing ALL of your Flows. This sounds like what the Secure Store service would be used for. What is its equivalent in Office 365? This paragraph describes the ability to set the Refresh Token Lifetime to *until-revoked* using a policy... Is this the only way forward? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/active-directory-configurable-token-lifetime...
Anonymous
Not applicable

PeterSelchDahl

This solution should work for customers that use Microsoft Flow and service accounts for running the flow: https://blog.peterdahl.net/2018/01/09/microsoft-flow-and-azure-conditional-access-azure-mfa/

I still need feedback from Microsoft around a solution that will work for end-users.

/Peter Selch Dahl

rcheetha

I've brought this solution to the attention of our IT Team, but low hopes they will allow this workaround of whitelisting certain IP's.

Hopefully Microsoft can come up with an more user-friendly approach so users arent having to get exceptions done by their IT Administrators.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,110)