cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Speez
Level: Powered On

Flow Feature or Connected Service That Can Recognize File Names That Are Similar But Not Exact?

Long story short, I have a flow that takes attachments from emails from a client and saves them in various folders depending on the subject of the email. This is construction so the files we are dealing with are submittals, RFIs, Transmittals, Letters, etc.

My use for the files requires that they be named in a certain format, and unfortunately the client does not/will not send in this format and they are somewhat haphazard in their naming. When they email me the approved submittal 54, it may be named "SUB_054_000 Response" or "Response Sub No. 54.0" or "Response SUB_54" etc etc. Some variation of Sub/SUB/Submittal, the Number (54) and the Revision (in this case 0) will be in the file name, but for whatever reason they do not stick with one format.

If everything was coming in with the exact same naming convention every time, this would be a lot easier. However, because of the randomness of their nomenclature, correct me if I am wrong but it seems i need a function or service that can intelligently scan the attachment's file name (or the filename after it has been saved to a dropbox folder) and interpret what the proper number is. I would love to have it then reference our submittal (or RFI or letter) log and change the file name accordingly, but even if I could just get it to recognize that ay of the above names or similar variations means Submittal 54.0 and I want it formatted as "SUB_0054_000" then I could take it from there with an easy batch rename script.

Never touched AI/machine learning anything - is that what I am looking for here? Is there anything built in or connected to Flow that would allow me to automatically and intelligently rename these files given how random the names are when they are sent to me? This is a 5 year long project, so would save a lot of tedious mindless work.

Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Flow Feature or Connected Service That Can Recognize File Names That Are Similar But Not Exact?

Hi @Speez,

Do you want to rename a attachment file whose name is random within your received email using Microsoft Flow?

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently. The rename file action is not supported in Dropbox connector of Microsoft Flow currently, if you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

In addition, there is no way to format the file name into a exact format based on a random attachment file name within Microsoft Flow currently.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Speez
Level: Powered On

Re: Flow Feature or Connected Service That Can Recognize File Names That Are Similar But Not Exact?

Kris,

Thanks for the reply - would it be possible if the file name was no random (IE if someone manually renamed it at least to a common format like SUB_####_###)? Rather than rename, could the file be copied to a new dropbox location with a new name based on some lookup parameters?

THanks, 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Speakers, submit your sessions now! Call for speakers ends Feb. 10!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,369)