Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Flow action to convert Word to a PDF in a model driven app

Afternoon

I have a model Driven form with a field where users can add a document to a record, the field name is 'Documents'. I have a flow with some approval actions. Upon approval I want to change a Word document and store it in either a SP library or One Drive. 

I've got the Convert action but it fails. I thought it would be a matter of adding the field name from my record to the convert action field?  I remember doing the same in SP a few months ago and having to have some other actions. I guess that after the file is converted it's a case of adding a 'Move File' action? Any guidance would be gratefully received! 

ConvertFile.png

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Flow action to convert Word to a PDF in a model driven app

Hello @darrenfloyd666 

What exactly is in the Documents field (property) - usually a document/file would have the properties Filename and File content (or similar) and what you want to convert is the File content.

Another important part is that your convert file action is working from OneDrive, so your document must be present on the OneDrive first.

Try adding a Compose action after our trigger and add the Document field in it - that will allow you to see what is in there.

Hope this helps you on the way 🙂

Kind regards, John

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Thanks @JohnAageAnderse . Looking at my fields again I noticed that I was pointing at the wrong field! Doh! 

The actual field is called 'Add documents' - cr1b0_adddocument - which is attachment field where a user uploads files to the record. I can't find that field when I search for it in Create or Convert file actions. So my question now is how to convert that file to a PDF after it's been uploaded. I guess it's stored somewhere in the CDS?

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hello @darrenfloyd666 

I am not using CDS, so can't help with that. Hope someone knowledgable will reply. One thing though is that I usually use a Compose action to see what a property contains when I am unsure and that may also help you in this situation.

Kind regards, John

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (7,612)