cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Flow condition not working

I created a simple flow for new employee orientation - HR send an email to supervisor/employee after they fiill out supvervisor and employee names and then wait for sometime to send out a reminder email to supvervisor/employee if they haven't completed the form (do the orientation and sign the form). For the latter part, I have tried the following conditions, but none of them works. 1. if the supervisor/employee signature field is empty; 2. if the supervisor/employee signature equals to the supervisor/employee names; 3. status is not completion or status is pending. The reminder will send out even supervisor/employee have signed the form (people picker field). No reminder will send out even status is pending, supervisor/employee signatures equal supervisor/employee names.

Does anybody have any clues on what I did wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Pei

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Re: Flow condition not working

Thanks again. It works now. I have a status field that is blank when the item is created and then it changes to Pending after I do an update. I used "status is equal to Pending" as condition. I have found out why the condition didn't work when I used it before - I used the wrong status. I need to select the status from Update, not the original.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

This is an updated information. I found out that if you have set up a list with status column and you did an update item in your Flow. Flow adds a column "Status Value". The status column now changed to Status Value column in Update item in Flow. You have to select Status Value for your condition in Flow to make it working. For example, for me, when I used the condition  "status is equal to Pending", the Flow didn't work, and when i use "status value is equal to Pending", it works.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Could you please share a screenshot of the configuration of your flow?

Does the HR fiill out supvervisor and employee names in a sharepoint list item?And the supervisor/employee would fill the form for the special item in the list?

Please share more details so we would try to provide a proper workaround for you.

Best regards,

Alice

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Alice,

Thank you for your reply. Yes. We are using SharePoint list. See screenshot below for our list and flow.

Pei

NEO2List.JPG

Below is the part of the flow to check if the supervisor field is empty.

NEO2Flow.JPG

Highlighted
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

I think the issue is that you use the trigger body to evaluate whether a reminder should be sent or not. At the time of the trigger the field will be empty by definition and hence the reminder logic does not work as expected.

>> Add a ‘get item’ action between delay and the condition and use the current value of the data in the SharePoint list in the condition.

secondly, I try to avoid checking for ‘empty’ - mostly leads to issues. I always put defined initial values into data fields. 

>> Define a default value for newly added rows in the SharePoint list e.g. ‘NotSet’ and then evalute in the condition the current value not equal to ‘NotSet’

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

ErichH, Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I still don't have the luck to make it working. May this have something to do with my field types. All my fields are either Yes/No, or people and date pickers. I don't have any regular field types. I'll continue testing. All suggesions are welcomed and appreciated.

Highlighted
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

If you are using Boolean fields then empty for sure does not work. It will be either true or false and you need to use expressions.

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Thanks again. It works now. I have a status field that is blank when the item is created and then it changes to Pending after I do an update. I used "status is equal to Pending" as condition. I have found out why the condition didn't work when I used it before - I used the wrong status. I need to select the status from Update, not the original.

Highlighted
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Kindly accept the respective post as solution so that other can benefit,

Highlighted
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Great to hear - Kindly accept the respective post as solution so that other can benefit,

Highlighted

For me "create flow" option is not showing after creating list

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Your SharePoint list must be in Modern mode to see the option. if you are in classic mode, you won't have the option to create Flow. To swtich to Modern mode, go to List Settings > Advanced Settings and select New Experience. Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

This is an updated information. I found out that if you have set up a list with status column and you did an update item in your Flow. Flow adds a column "Status Value". The status column now changed to Status Value column in Update item in Flow. You have to select Status Value for your condition in Flow to make it working. For example, for me, when I used the condition  "status is equal to Pending", the Flow didn't work, and when i use "status value is equal to Pending", it works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (7,602)