cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
navaidm
Helper II
Helper II

Flow detects modified item in SP list while it was turned off

I have a flow "A" that is triggered when an Item is created or modified in SP list.

List is modified using Power app and flow then works well and sends out notification as designed.

I have another flow "B" which is scheduled to run once a day and modifies the same SP List.

However, I do not want the A to be triggered when B updates SP List so from within B I turn A off and then as a last action item of B I give it a delay of about 20 minutes and turn A back On.

I can see A turning Off and On by B. However as soon as A turns On It starts sending out notification for items modified by B.

What am I Doing wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JohnAageAnderse
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hello @navaidm 

I would try another solution. Use a 2nd list to indicate whether or not B is running, just one item with a value of "B is On" or "B is Off".

When B starts running, update the item with "B is On". B performs its tasks. When finished, B sets the item value to "B is Off" 🙂

A reacts to the changes and the first thing it does, it to get the 2nd list item, to see if the value is "B is On". If that is the value, A terminates successfully.

If the value is "B is Off", then A does what it needs to do.

Hope this gives you some idea to solve your issue. Kind regards, John

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JohnAageAnderse
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hello @navaidm 

I would try another solution. Use a 2nd list to indicate whether or not B is running, just one item with a value of "B is On" or "B is Off".

When B starts running, update the item with "B is On". B performs its tasks. When finished, B sets the item value to "B is Off" 🙂

A reacts to the changes and the first thing it does, it to get the 2nd list item, to see if the value is "B is On". If that is the value, A terminates successfully.

If the value is "B is Off", then A does what it needs to do.

Hope this gives you some idea to solve your issue. Kind regards, John

View solution in original post

efialttes
Super User
Super User

Hi!
Do you manually turn off your flow A?
If so, as explained in this other topic "...It is the expected behavior if you turn off and turn on a flow, then flow would immediately  run for the items that should trigger the flow when the flow is turned off..."

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Using-Flows/Switching-flows-on-a-Pre-existing-list/td-p/506873

Please note you can design an automatic method to turn off/ on your flow A... let' assume everytime Flow B starts its execution it switches on a flag in an external repository (sharepoint, excel...) and when it's about to finish switches it off. Then you just need to add a check en flow A, if switch is on terminate execution
Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

@JohnAageAnderse  ad @efialttes Tnx for the swift responses.

From your response I understand that flow is behaving the way it should.

Turning Flag On /OF in SP List to control Flow A would work with trigger condition. Tnx for the solution, Accepted

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Users online (1,862)