cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunithav
Helper IV
Helper IV

Flow for a SharePoint list with more than 5000 items

I have created an approval flow to trigger when an item gets created in SharePoint list. Flow does not retrieve any items from the SharePoint list. It just waits for approval and updates the approval status and approver comments in the list.

Will the flow run without any errors once list items count crosses 5000? Is it required to ensure that the list items count stay well within 5000?

Thanks

SV

5 REPLIES 5
Rahber
Super User II
Super User II

There have been issues reported that the trigger stops working after 5000 items.

You can see one solution to it here: https://www.ohthreesixtyfive.org/2018/03/microsoft-flow-overcoming-the-list-view-threshold.html

Please click Accept as Solution if it resolved your problem or give it a Thumbs Up if it helped you in anyway this will allow other people to search correct solutions effectively.

Thanks,
Rahber

sudharsan1985
Super User
Super User

Hi @sunithav 

You can try the solution provided my @sunithav or you can try to use the 'Instant flow' using the selected item action and allowing the users to select the flow to trigger for approval. In this case, you don't have to worry about the threshold limit. The 'Instant Flow' saves lot of limitations and also will allow the users to trigger the approval whenever it is required. Sometimes the user may have accidentally created a record with invalid details, but they cant edit since the approval flow has been triggered. But in the 'Instant Flow' they can verify it and whenever they need to send the approval, they can send. You are giving the user the full control and also the responsibility of their approval process.

Hope it helps, please like it or mark it as a solution if it resolves your clarification or issue
-Sudharsan K...

Hope it helps, please like it or mark it as a solution if it resolves your clarification or issue
-Sudharsan K...

@Rahber, Thanks for your response. There is an automatically created index in my list and I have created one for modified. Did not see anything similar to this in MS docs.

@sudharsan1985, Thanks for your response. Requirement is to send email when an item is created and item is created using canvas app. So Instant flow does not suit here.

-SV

DivyaRhoda
Frequent Visitor

Hi @sunithav 

If you are using when an item is created trigger for your flow, it will trigger the instance for only one item. In this case you no need to worry about list having more than 5000 items. Only if you have "Get items" action anywhere in your power automate you have to know that, get items action can fetch maximum of 5000 items. 

My suggestion is you can use "When an item is created" trigger to handle creation of item or "When an item is created or modified" trigger to handle created and modified case, both will trigger an instance for one item.

Please click Accept as Solution if it resolved your problem or give it a Thumbs Up if it helped you in anyway.

Thanks,
DivyaRhoda

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (2,035)