cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leemex
Level: Powered On

Flow is starting multiple times?

I have a flow which is supposed to start whenever there is a new or modified item in a list. For some reason, the flow sometimes runs two, three or even four times. The flow is creating new users in our O365 tenant. Whenever a user already exists, the flow should only update and not create the user (e.g. location of the user has changed). When flows are starting multiple times the condition whether its a new or existing user can't be triggered as they're running simultaneously, causing multiple account creation.

You can see there is nothing special about when the flow is supposed to start.

multiple-instance-flow.jpg

but a lot of instances:

multiple-runs.jpg

Anyone experienced this issue before?

14 REPLIES 14
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Flow is starting multiple times?

Hi @leemex,

Have you checked the run details of runs that are running simultaneously?

Are they triggered by the same item?

About the Condition, when the Status is equal to Teilnehmer, what are the next actions have you configured?

When using the trigger “When an item is created or modified” in a simple flow, I don’t get the issue you mentioned.

Please show me more details to help reproduce this issue on my side.

Best regards,

Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Administrator
Administrator

Hello, @leemex!

Have you had an opportunity to apply @v-yamao-msft‘s recommendation to adapt your Flow? If yes, and you find that solution to be satisfactory, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel
Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Power Automate Community Manager
Are YOU a member of your local Power Automate User Group?
Fill out This Form to claim your Community User Group Member Badge!
leemex

Hi @v-yamao-msft

Thanks for your answer.

Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation Smiley Very Happy

It's quite random I figured - sometimes it does trigger 2 times, sometimes not and I simply can't find out why. The actions after the first conditions are more conditions Smiley LOL

2018-07-16 11_34_50-Clipboard.jpg

creinicke
Level: Power Up

Hi @leemex,

We are experiencing the same problem. Have you found a solution?

leemex

hey there

Really? I reported this problem to Microsoft and they reported (after a couple of weeks) that they have fixed the issue and it's already rolled out worldwide. 

After that confirmation, I tested it again and it didn't seem to appear anymore. 

dhomburg

Still happening here too. Getting frustrated with the number of hours wasted trying to find a solution while wading through massive amounts of misinformation. Had a process running absolutely perfectly on Zapier, then the Dynamics 365 v9 update broke it. Had to drop back to Flow. Added checks to see if the target values have been changed before allowing the duplicate Flow triggers. However the Flow instances happen so quickly that there is a race condition and even the checks on the target data don't work. This is just straight up broken tech. No excuse for it to have gone on this long. Stupid. 

leemex

I agree.
What you could try though is to force run only 1 instance at a time. You can do that by going to your flow settings and set something like "max simultaneous runs" or something like that. I don't have the exact wording at hand, currently, but you'll figure it out 🙂
Super User
Super User

Hey

If you use the trigger created or modified, it can happen that the Flow runs multiple times.

So you create an item, the flow starts, in the meantime a colleague changes that exact same item, the flow runs a second time without you knowing. It will always run if the item has been modified.

This can only be the explenation of this behaviour.

Kind regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

creinicke

Hi Tom,

Yes, this seems to have been the problem. A part of the flow actually triggered that items be modified, which seems to have started the flow all over again. Weird though that for 2 months the flow worked fine, and now it suddenly didn't. We solved our problem by using the trigger "When an item is created" instead.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

dhomburg

Hi Tom,

I set up a simple flow to test this. I have a new, unshared, Excel Online file to which another process appends a row. I ran the appending process only one time, ever.

I have a flow that checks for the Excel Online file to be modified and then sends an email with the last modified time of the Excel Online file.

I triggered the flow process at 9:52 am with the following results from flow:

1. At 9:53 am I got the first email from flow with a change date on the Excel Online file of "2018-10-26T14:52:23Z"
  2. At 9:58 am I got a second email from flow with a change date on the Excel Online file of "2018-10-26T14:52:23Z"
  3. At 10:02 am I got a third email from flow with a change date on the Excel Online file of "2018-10-26T14:52:23Z"

As you can see the change dates are identical. If the pattern I have seen over the last few months holds, I will randomly get about 8-20 more emails from the process over the next 24 hours. 

Zero other users have access to the Excel file, and the single row within it has not changed since it was appended.

The "OneDrive for Business - When a File is Modified (Properties Only)" connector itself seems to be broken. It's odd that some people seem to see this behavior and others don't.

Dale

Highlighted
GeorgePB

I have the same issue with the "When an existing item is modified" and the "When an item is created or modified" triggers, they get triggered by the same event multiple times.

Really annoying, almost all of my flows are based on those triggers and now i had to turn them off because i ended up spamming everyone.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue?

Super User
Super User

Hey all

I've experienced, even in the early days when created and modified trigger came out, that this appears broken.

Since those issues I've never used this trigger, so if I can give you any advice I would always use when created trigger

Kind regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

NARA

I have the same problem with Dynamics 356: When a record is updated trigger. It triggers randomly 1 or 2 or sometimes even 3 times when closing an opportunity in CRM. Cant see why you would not fix this since a lot of people seems to be struggeling with it!! Any ideas?

TrendyFlow

Hi All,

I am facing issue with MS Flow running multiple times, we are sending notifications on status field and it sends notifications 3-4 times, that is not good for production site.

Any body found the solution for the same?

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,276)