cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jayant1
Level: Powered On

Flow not running for blank values from power apps

Hi All,

i have a flow which is connected to power apps and it is a simple one. i have 6 fields that need to be sent to flows. Now it can be a case that not all 6 values have data in them, so when i run my flow if all the 6 values are not present it does not trigger but if i provide all the 6 values it does trigger. Any idea on to how to get this working?

8 REPLIES 8
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Flow not running for blank values from power apps

Hi @jayant1 

You can use the coalesce function in flow for handling null values. Here is my blog post that might help you with this one: https://www.bythedevs.com/post/how-to-pass-a-null-value-as-an-input-while-using-a-manual-trigger-in-...

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

jayant1

@yashag2255  thanks for the input and i read your blog , however my data is coming from power apps and the flow is triggered from a power app button. 
so my flow which is xyz. Run(different parameters) and if one of the parameters is empty it does not run. i am not quite sure how can i make use of Coalesce function. Any guidance in regard to this would be really helpful.

I wonder - could you use an IF statement in your Run() and pass in a placeholder value if the user doesn't have any data? Then handle for that in the Flow? Like - say the field is unlikely to have a user entered value of ~ you could use If to pass in ~ if there isn't a value for the field. A little hacky, but it seems like it would work. 🙂

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @jayant1 ,

It seems that it depends on your configuration in PowerApps. The result of my test is that even if multiple inputs are null, Flow will still trigger as long as the submit button is clicked.

Have you done any settings to limit the triggering of Flow, could you tell us the details of PowerApps configuration?

Please check this online doc and see if it helps:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/using-logic-flows

Bes Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jb007

I have also been having this problem .. I am using a button on a PowerApps sharepoint input form to create an new item in a different sharepoint list when certain conditions are met (using power automate). At first I thought it was a field type issue but changes to simple text didn't help. I then put in if statements and created a variable to force a value eg "unknown". which appears to work. It appears the problem is random ie some fields are accepting as blanks and others not. Even worse is after I force a value the issue moves to another field that hasn't had a value forced so I am now putting in if statements for all fields … a real pain when I am capturing 20 fields.

jayant1

@jb007 could you kindly tell me the condition that you used in your run statement for flows as i have still not figured out the solution for it. 
just the if statement would help. 

Highlighted
jb007

What is did was create variables and associate PowerAutomate to the variable 

Following is the code attached to the On select property of the button used to activate the process

'This part checks whether mandatory field have values and if not a popup detailing the requirment is activated
If(Or(IsBlank(DataCardValue47),IsBlank(DataCardValue11),IsBlank(DataCardValue9),IsBlank(DataCardValue12),IsBlank(DataCardValue15),IsBlank(DataCardValue8)),
UpdateContext({varPopUp:true}),
ButtonReview.Visible=false;
' This next section simply checks whether the other fields have a blank value and if so updates the associated variable (eg varContact) with a "~"
If(IsBlank(DataCardValue32.Selected.DisplayName),UpdateContext({varContact:"~"}),UpdateContext({varContact:DataCardValue32.Selected.DisplayName}));
If(IsBlank(DataCardValue34.Text),UpdateContext({varPhone:"~"}),UpdateContext({varPhone:DataCardValue34.Text}));
If(IsBlank(DataCardValue49.Text),UpdateContext({varDesc:"~"}),UpdateContext({varDesc:DataCardValue49.Text}));
If(IsBlank(DataCardValue1.Text),UpdateContext({varHPERM:"~"}),UpdateContext({varHPERM:DataCardValue1.Text}));
If(IsBlank(DataCardValue50.Text),UpdateContext({varFacRef:"~"}),UpdateContext({varFacRef:DataCardValue50.Text}));
If(IsBlank(DataCardValue6.Text),UpdateContext({varQty:1}),UpdateContext({varQty:DataCardValue6.Text}));
If(IsBlank(DataCardValue16.Text),UpdateContext({varPrice:0}),UpdateContext({varPrice:DataCardValue16.Text}));
Set(varReview,{Value:"Review has been created"});

'This next section is the part that runs the PowerAutomate "WarrantyReview54" ... Note the values no longer relate to the DataCardValue but instead to the variables
WarrantyReviewV5.Run(DataCardValue45.Text,varDesc,DataCardValue47.Selected.Value,varHPERM,varFacRef,
DataCardValue9.Text,DataCardValue11.Text,DataCardValue12.Text,DataCardValue15.Text,varQty,DataCardValue8.Text,varContact,
varPrice,varPhone,DataCardValue52.Selected.DisplayName,DataCardValue42.SelectedDate,Today(),DataCardValue13.Text))

Apologies for the length … hope it helps / makes sense

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @jayant1 

Can you share the formula used by you to trigger the flow?

You can pass the blank string "" in case the input is not passed.

FlowName.Run(If(IsBlank(TextInput1.Text),"",TextInput1.Text),If(IsBlank(TextInput2.Text),"",TextInput2.Text),If(IsBlank(TextInput3.Text),"",TextInput3.Text),If(IsBlank(TextInput4Text),"",TextInput4.Text),If(IsBlank(TextInput5.Text),"",TextInput5.Text),If(IsBlank(TextInput6.Text),"",TextInput6.Text))

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users online (5,982)