cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klemetsrud
Frequent Visitor

Flow performing action that fires off another flow non-child

Flow #1 creates a record in Power Apps entity and checks a box. Flow #2 looks to see if that checkbox is marked True, and goes out and retrieves some additional data from another location. The second flow does NOT fire (not sure why) from the execution of the first flow, but when I check the box manually from the UI, it runs fine.... anyone know if this is by design?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
abm
Super User
Super User

Hi @klemetsrud 

Thanks for the post. Change the trigger to when a record is created. Then check the Check box? You could probably do all the logic in one isn't?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blogPower Automate Video Tutorials

View solution in original post

klemetsrud
Frequent Visitor

Just wanted to say, yes, it works now that it's happening on an actual update, rather than checking the box during the creation call. Thanks!

P.S. Solution is not to check a box during the creation of a record and expect a flow that is set to execute "on update" to execute. You must be performing a real update operation.

5 REPLIES 5
klemetsrud
Frequent Visitor

@klemetsrud wrote:

Flow #1 creates a record in Power Apps entity and checks a box. Flow #2 looks to see if that checkbox is marked True, and goes out and retrieves some additional data from another location. The second flow does NOT fire (not sure why) from the execution of the first flow, but when I check the box manually from the UI, it runs fine.... anyone know if this is by design?

@abm -- Said to tag you here.

It's Microsoft Dynamics 365. Flow #1 creates a custom entity record (simple) - Reads from Jira adapter, and writes a Jira ticket's contents to an entity called "Jira Tickets" and as it "creates" that record, it checks a box (two options) setting it to true. Flow #2 is triggered off that check box being checked. Now that I think about it, I feel like it might not be firing, because the trigger is set to "when a record is updated" but i'm creating the record with that value marked....doh. I'll try updating that box at the end of the process and see if it that fixes the issue. I'm 99% sure it probably will now that I've had time to stew.

Thanks!

abm
Super User
Super User

Hi @klemetsrud 

Thanks for the post. Change the trigger to when a record is created. Then check the Check box? You could probably do all the logic in one isn't?

Proud to be a Flownaut!

klemetsrud
Frequent Visitor

Actually, that's what I ended up doing. Unfortunately the Jira adapter they have released is pretty junky. They have "when an issue is created" and the body of that is JSON that I have to parse out all over the place, but it is missing some elements (thus I wanted this update). For the "update" checkbox, it uses "get issue by key" which has the missing elements. I simply added the extra call to get issue by key into the on create of a jira issue logic to return the missing results.

I really wish they would just stick to "one way". I'd be completely fine with the JSON option as long as they returned all of the appropriate and needed fields.

That being said, I still need the "update" to run when a user "manually" checks the box, which is working fine that way.

Now I need to "Schedule a refresh" flow, that will only take the "Open" Jira issues (as listed in CRM) and perform the update every so often. This is where i'm hoping "now", that creating a flow that checks the box this way, will allow it to fire off. 

I'll test it on one record before I remove the fetchxml condition so the apply to each loops over them all and make sure it's working before I let it unload on the ones I'm about to import (since Jira doesn't have a way of returning ALL jira tickets, at least not in their adapter options).

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks!

Hi @klemetsrud 

Thanks for the update.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

klemetsrud
Frequent Visitor

Just wanted to say, yes, it works now that it's happening on an actual update, rather than checking the box during the creation call. Thanks!

P.S. Solution is not to check a box during the creation of a record and expect a flow that is set to execute "on update" to execute. You must be performing a real update operation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (1,217)