cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Flow run history and the Send Me an Email action

Can someone tell me if I'm doing this wrong? Because I'm finding that the Send me an email notification action causes more trouble than it's worth. I'm trying to stay on top of any Flow failures, but the email action is getting in my way. I put this action at the end of my Flow:

note-action.PNG

and I configure it to run after a failure:

run after.PNG

It DOES email me -- but then I have a very hard time finding the failed Flow because the Run History looks at this last step of sending me an email, sees that it went though, and counts the whole Flow as SUCCESSFUL. So I go to Run History and have to click through a dozen options, trying to match up with the time the email arrived, to find the actual failure.

run history.PNG

In the body of the email, I can send myself a link to the Flow in general, but not to this specific RUN of the Flow. And because Run History provides so precious little information, this is a huge pain. I'm planning to delete these notification actions, because at least then I'd be able to identify the failed flows. 

On the subject of Run History, it would be amazing if it could offer some more identifiable info, like the file name or the person who triggered it.

And I, for one, am desperate for more intelligent flow triggers. I know there are ideas out there to trigger flows on specific field changes, and that is sorely needed. I also desperately need to be able to trigger on a modification ONLY - as distinct from an item or file creation. Every workflow I make involves a convoluted system of on/off "flags" and requires a million unnecessary runs that confuses everything because the trigger options are so simplistic. 

I'm rambling about different topics here, but anyway! If anyone can tell me how to make Send Me an Email useful, please advise. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Flow run history and the Send Me an Email action

Hello @RachelRig 

you can add the action, Terminate

At the end of your flow after the send notification.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you like my post please hit the Thumbs Up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Check out my blog for Power Automate tips, tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Ah! Good idea. Thanks!

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@RachelRig 

Glad I could help!

Did the above solution help?

If so, please consider marking my post as a Solution. This is to help others find answers faster.

Thanks, and stay safe!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you like my post please hit the Thumbs Up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Check out my blog for Power Automate tips, tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (5,819)