cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Flow running multiple times and sending countless emails for the same item.

Created a flow for an item in SharePoint 

The intention of the Flow is to send an email approval in the event a user decides to Cancel a created item. 

There is a cancel choice field with just one option Yes so the flow only runs if selected. The flow is doing what it should be doing however it is sending out the same email multiple times for instance 5 times. 

Here's what I did: 

FlowCancellation.JPG

Not sure why it's sending the approval email repeatedly. 

This should be sent once. Also the Flow should only be sent when Yes is selected for Cancel. 

Any ideas why this is sending multiple emails?

Many thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Flow running multiple times and sending countless emails for the same item.

Hi @ASLR,

How many times does your flow run when an item is modified?

I have made a test on my side and don’t have the issue that you mentioned. My flow’s configuration as below:1.PNG

The flow works successfully as below and it sends out an approval email:21.JPG

Besides, please check if you have modified Cancel filed of multiple records in SharePoint list. Also please check if other items have been created with Yes is selected for Cancel field.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Update:  I've created a completely different list to handle the approval and it shoots out one email as it should be doing. However, I am trying to update the next list with the outcome such as cancellation approved but it's not.

The issue is the ID in the current cancel list is different to the ID in the next list. Therefore, it is not linking the same record but not too sure how to do this in Flow. Flow is not allowing me to see the next list unique's ID as well as pick anything else than the ID from the current list.

I know in SharePoint Designer I could select the two identifiers to link the record but how can I do this in Flow? 

Regards, 

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

I have two list Parent List - Leave List, Child List - Cancel Request 

When an item is selected in the Parent list to cancel, it creates an item in the Cancel Request list to do an email approval to cancel the item. This cancellation is now working because I'm not doing any modification to the cancel list otherwise. However, once the email request is approved or rejected from the email I will like the flow to update the Parent list column to Cancellation Approved. 

Parent List Colums: ( Leave Requests) 

ID 

Employee

Department 

Leave 

StartDate

EndDate 

Cancellation Status

Child List Columns ( Cancel Requests) 

ID 

Employee

Department

Leave 

Start Date 

End Date 

The child fields are being populated using a create an item in another list within the SharePoint Designer when Cancel is selected in the Parent list. 

Is there a way when the approval email is completed for the Cancel Request list via the email, the Parent List ( Leave Request's cancellation status field is updated with "Cancellation Approved"? 

Please see the steps I took trying to do so but it's actually not updating the Parent List cancellation list. Any suggestions would be very helpful. 

Flow1124.JPGFlow1122.JPGFlow1123.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Users online (5,922)