cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Flows in Solutions - moving between environments, best practice

Hi, I have been trying to use Solutions for better management of Flows. For instance, packing 5 different Flows built for an application, into a Solution. Let's say I now want to deploy the solution from dev to test environment. Everything works fine the first time, when target environment doesn't have this solution yet (simple export -> import).

Problems start when I edit 1 of the Flows in Dev and then would like to apply that update to Test env. I changed content of a 'compose' action and tried 2 approaches:
1) Publish customizations -> export solution from dev -> import solution in test

The whole process seems to go fine, my existing solution in Test gets a new version number. But the 'compose' action has not changed at all. It's still the old version. 

2) Instead of exporting the whole solution: export just the Flow I had edited from the Solution in Dev. 

- There is no option to import the new version of existing Flow into the solution from a .zip file

- If I try to import it as a normal Flow and select 'Update' - it doesn't see Flows in Solutions, so I can't select the one I want

- If I import it as a normal 'new' flow, I can then add it to the solution, but it doesn't replace the one that is already there, but creates a new one. So this doesn't seem to be the correct process at all.

What is the best practice in such case? Is there no way to update an existing solution with changes from different environment so it applies all changes inside a Flow?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Jcook
Super User III
Super User III

Hello @Anonymous 

I have run into the same thing. This seems to be a limitation on the way solutions are handled at this time.

I do believe the product team (or someone) is working on a process to automate the deployments using DevOps CICD pipelines. This will require the Flows to be in the solution.

As of right now. Me and my organization stay away from putting flows into a solution unless we have to: (Common data service current environment). Even in that case we can create the flow in the solution, than export out so it is not in one.

—Josh
If you like my post please hit the "Thumbs Up" -- If my post solved your issue please "Mark as a Solution" to help others

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you like my post please hit the Thumbs Up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Check out my blog for Power Automate tips,
tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Josh, if that's the case, using Solutions would make no sense. But managing tens (or more) various Flows for different purposes in one long list, without even grouping those, is not good either. I'm still curious of experiences of other community members.

I am running into this exact issue right now. I make changes in my DEV environment and upon importing, nothing is changed despite the modified column indicating it is new. I hope you've found a solution to this since your last post or if not, hopefully someone has a solution that I am unaware of. 

bob_cobra
Frequent Visitor

Are there any updates on this as it seems counterintuitive to using a managed solution. 

Jcook
Super User III
Super User III

Hello @

Hello @bob_cobra 

Could you please test this again. Save the Flow in the Dev environment to get the new runtime.

and try to export and import. Make sure to publish the changes.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you like my post please hit the Thumbs Up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Check out my blog for Power Automate tips,
tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

bob_cobra
Frequent Visitor

When the flow is in a managed solution it doesn't work. I tried yesterday before posting here. I deleted a send email v2 action and replaced it with a send from shared mailbox action. I saved the flow published the managed solution and imported it to production. The changes were not reflected in the production managed solution flow. I tired both options of update and overwrite. I had to delete the solution in production and reimport to see the changes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,588)