Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dsmcwhir
Helper II
Helper II

Fun Power Automate Connectors and Custom Connectors

Hi All! 

I'm a power automate user (non-developer) and I use power automate quite often for both personal and business process use at my work! I also enjoy creating a fun, playful environment with my co-workers, and I recently discovered a connector that generates a random Michael Scott quote. As both an avid fan of "The Office" and a PA user, my life felt complete. Needless to say, I quickly set up a workflow that sends a random Michael Scott quote to the people in my immediate working team each Monday which made me very happy. Since then, I've also seen that there are also Ron Swanson, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars connectors created by an independent publisher, I think most of them were made by an independent publisher named Troy Taylor (https://powerautomate.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/record-breaking-number-of-new-independent-publisher-c...)

My question is: does anyone know of any other connectors similar to these that are fun, or any way that you have used connectors similar to these? And also, does anyone recommend a way that a non-developer like me could learn to create custom connectors in general? Open to online courses or just pointing me to tutorials to learn custom connectors! I need to learn more about API and see how I could incorporate it into my work for systems we use that do not have existing PA connectors.

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
DamoBird365
Super User
Super User

Hi @dsmcwhir 

Everything you might ask and more is available here http://aka.ms/customconnector including how to submit your own independent connector.  Good luck!

Damien

RobElliott
Super User
Super User

Just as a bit of fun, on our intranet I have a power app linked to a flow that gets & displays a random country every day with an icon that links to the Wikipedia page about the country and another icon that opens up a Google Maps map of the country. It doesn't need any custom connectors, it just gets a random item from a SharePoint list. It's worked beautifully for the last 3 years.

Guadeloupe.png

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Very cool, Rob! I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses power automate for non directly business-related purposes in my job. That's a great idea.

Thanks @DamoBird365, I have seen that documentation from Microsoft. Definitely need to spend some more time reading through it I'm sure. Sometimes as a non-developer I can get really in the weeds on a "link loop" where I read one article there and since I didn't understand many of the terms, I have to read multiple links from that article to understand the original article, etc. But yes, still helpful here, thank you. 

Hi @dsmcwhir 

I've got a video on building a custom connector for the Graph API.  This was before the times of the Graph API Action but it might help you with some of your understanding How To? Build It! Custom Connector - DamoBird365

Damien

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Users online (1,634)