cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Get Data from Lookup Column

I am having the hardest time getting started with Flows.  I'm trying to follow the training but its so slow and covers nothing I want to do right now.  

Can someone please point me to how to lookup data in another list based off of information in a new item?

I am attempting to send an email when a new item is created.  There is a lookup ddl in my list and I want to use that to find a people field that has someone I want to email.  

I have the workflow created and I have the "Get Items"  option.  I put the url and the list.  I know I need to use Odata queries but thats where I break down.  I understand them from using Query URL's but the approach to using this stuff is not intuitive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hi!

"I am attempting to send an email when a new item is created"

...so I assume you are using 'When an item is created' trigger, right?

Now, if your items in the list have a lookup column pointing to a second list where a person column is stored -and you wanna send an email to such person- then you should add a 'Get item' action block and assing its corresponding ID: you can obtain it from the trigger outputs!

So, in this example, I am triggering my flow when a new item is created in "DekraCertifications" list; then I have a lookup Column called "DeviceModel" pointing to another list called "DeviceModels". So if I wanna get the related item in this second list, I just need to select its ID from the dynamic content menu

Flow_Lookup.png

Hope this makes sense

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hi!

"I am attempting to send an email when a new item is created"

...so I assume you are using 'When an item is created' trigger, right?

Now, if your items in the list have a lookup column pointing to a second list where a person column is stored -and you wanna send an email to such person- then you should add a 'Get item' action block and assing its corresponding ID: you can obtain it from the trigger outputs!

So, in this example, I am triggering my flow when a new item is created in "DekraCertifications" list; then I have a lookup Column called "DeviceModel" pointing to another list called "DeviceModels". So if I wanna get the related item in this second list, I just need to select its ID from the dynamic content menu

Flow_Lookup.png

Hope this makes sense

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Users online (9,969)