cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhall
Level 8

Get User info from click in Teams using Adaptive Cards

I've been testing out a scenario and ran into something that I'm not finding information on.  In fact, I'm not certain it can be done.

My use case is to post a particular item to Teams for a group of people to follow up on then gather the responses. For nearly all applications, details arrive into Flow via PowerApps triggers, and Flow posts a subset of the information to Teams for member(s) to respond to via Adaptive Cards.  Sometimes these will be a response from one user, sometimes multiples.  This means that 5 people could click certain options and respond differently (i.e. survey results).  

Is there any way to access the user information within an Adaptive Card to submit back to Flow (or anything else really) on a submission from an Adaptive Card?  I know I could work around this via email and user-tag each email, but would prefer to do this via Teams.

Example: Message posted to Team Channel monitored by 2 users.  User X clicks the Approve button while User Y clicks the Deny.  I'd like to track which user clicked which button.

I'm thinking that I'm off the standard use-case here and that the response might be to "use a bot" and to have it directly interact w/ the user within the Team where it can access user details.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Get User info from click in Teams using Adaptive Cards

Hi @jhall ,

Could provide screenshot of Flow configuration?

Have you considered using MS Forms, which is also integrated with Teams.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
jhall
Level 8

Re: Get User info from click in Teams using Adaptive Cards

The Flow is currently just a proof of concept (I'm an Architect testing out one of the use-cases for application delivery inside our org) that posts out to Teams as the Flow Bot and creates a dynamic Adaptive Card where a user can take action as part of a workflow. 

image.png

Once the Adaptive Card arrives in Teams, there does not appear to be a way to tie any interaction with the card directly to a user within Cards.  Which means, I cannot use Flow as the receiver of the Action.Http because it also has no user awareness.

To reword :

• End user is one of many members of Team that receives an Adaptive Card
  • End user selects an option (and perhaps fill in some additional details) and then submit the response back to us 
  • the Card has no awareness or ability to determine who clicked it (as far as I can tell).  
  • Card responses sent to Flow also have no user awareness of who clicked
  • Only possibility is redirection to a non-Adaptive Card UX that has user awareness

You raise a possible workaround using Forms (which would be user aware) but PowerApps would as well.  Forms is likely lighter-weight and faster for user's to load and interact with.  HOWEVER, it does not appear to support injecting parameters to a Form (e.g. HTTPS://...?Q1="Default Answer).  That means that any interaction cannot be easily fed from the workflow with customized data (nor can we spin up Forms programmatically).  Very inflexible for a design pattern that we are focusing on multiple use cases for.

I am more inclined to recommend that Adaptive Cards simply push the data to a basic PowerApps confirmation popup and direct the parameters from any clicks inside these cards to such a form.  It will enable the system to query the user's identity when PowerApps runs.  

I don't find this solution especially "smooth" per the end-user.  I'm kind of struggling on accepting this as a solution considering the focus on Teams as a repository for where work happens.  It seems like a real miss.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 379 members 6,920 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: