Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidForlen
Advocate II
Advocate II

Get a SharePoint file from sharing link or url

Hi,

Here is what I'm trying to do :

1. From a PowerApps, a user click a button on a specific line of data from SQL Server. This line contain an url (a sharing link or a url like "https://emc13.sharepoint.com/sites/VidyaSiteBasedLogging/SP_Document_library/folder/folder/Document.... of a file from SharePoint.
  2. The id of the SQL Server row is sent to a Flow. So that the Flow can also access the url of the file.
  3. The Flow must take the file from SharePoint, convert it to PDF and save the link of the PDF to the corresponding column in SQL Server.

The problem is that I can't find a way to get the file content (or name) from the link, in either Power Automate or PowerApps.

If I could use the function "Launch" or "Download" of PowerApps to pass the content of the file to Flow, it wouldn't be a problem.

I must also be able to detect if the link doesn't work (if the SharePoint file was renamed or deleted), and prompt the user to provide a functionnal link.

Any idea ?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
yashkamdar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello Team,

This is pretty easy !!

What you need to do is Create a STRING type variable and set that variable with the link that you have, then use the action GET FILE CONTENT USING PATH and as an input to this action, pass the Variable value.

yashkamdar_0-1599828669824.png

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Thanks a lot !

I didn't realize that I could put the whole URL in the File Path.

This works for URL with path like (https://emc13.sharepoint.com/sites/VidyaSiteBasedLogging/SP_Document_library/folder/Document.docx).

But not with sharing link, I get the following error : "URL is not for this web\r\nclient".

I hope it's possible to access files with sharing link as well as "path" link. As I can't expect my users to update the link with anything else than the sharing link. Constructing the "path" link is too tedious not to be automated.

I am still confronted with the same problem with a sharing link.

Does anyone have a solution?

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,030)